Selecting CPU Type x86-64-v2-AES

stuartbh

Dec 2, 2019
ProxMox users, developers, et alia:

It seems that if one selects the CPU type of "x86-64-v2-AES" it does not allow nested virtualization. Is there a way to custom configure this CPU type such that it will allow that functionality?

Stuart

Moayad,

Well, yes I understand what the host type does. I was trying to understand how and with what level of pain I could add the nested virtualization flag to the particular CPU type I was looking at. Are you suggesting that there is no way to do that?

Thanks for your reply.

Stuart

Hi,
what you can try is creating an entry with +svm for AMD or +vmx for Intel in /etc/pve/virtual-guest/cpu-models.conf (based on the original definition):
Code:
cpu-model: x86-64-v2-AES-nested
   flags +aes;+popcnt;+pni;+sse4.1;+sse4.2;+ssse3;+svm
   reported-model qemu64
Afterwards you can select the new custom model via UI like any other. But this might not work (it didn't for me) and you might need to choose a model more closely matching your CPU as a base. The following worked for me:
Code:
cpu-model: EPYC-nested
   flags +svm
   reported-model EPYC

Please also note that we do not test such configurations and there might be issues with live-migration!

Reactions: VictorSTS

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!