[SOLVED] SDN VNet Trunking/Tagging

waffleiron

Apr 30, 2024
Hello,
Looking for guidance on how to enable trunking/tagging on an SDN VNet. Use case is pictured below.

Host is bonded to a switch over 4x interfaces, vmbr0 has bond0 as a member and is vlan aware.
There is an SDN zone named "Public" that has vmbr0 as the bridge.
There are multiple vnets with tags that reference the Public zone and all of them are working fine (eg. VM1)

What I'm trying to do is create a VNet that can "pass the trunk" to a VM (eg. VM2). I thought all I would have to do is enable "vlan aware" for the Trunk vnet but it forces me to also add a tag...which confuses me. Makes me think its a q-in-q type setup which is not going to work. Regardless, when I attach VM2 to this vnet I get no network connectivity.

However, if I bypass SDN completely and configure vmbr0 as the bridge on the VM port I get network connectivity (eg. VM3) which tells me the issue is on the SDN side somewhere.

I spin up a lot of networking VMs and being able to use sub-interfaces on the fly is huge. While the vmbr0 mapping works I would prefer to keep all my network mappings within the SDN space if possible. Thanks in advance!

Proxmox Question1.png

Reactions: rudydevolder
Hi,

can you make a feature request on bugzilla.proxmox.com ?

Currently, the vlan-aware option has been added as users requested it for special setup (vlan tag on top of vxlan, triple tag in qinq,....).
But the sdn is really made to create 1vnet=1network , because extra feature are coming (dhcp, router,...) with subnets management.

But, as qe already allowing in qinq zone to create a vnet without tag , I think it could be done too for vlan zone.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!