Root username and password do not work in the web interface

César Mendonça

Aug 16, 2023
After an attempt at a local backup, my proxmox web interface does not accept the root user and password, it is as if it had been changed... And it was not

Did you select "Linux PAM standard authentication" as the Realm?

After an attempt at a local backup
What exactly have you tried?

Did you check that actually "PAM" was selected as the realm and not "PVE"?
No capslock set or wrong keyboard layout?
Check using SSH/local console if your root filesystem is full (df -h), as a read-only filesystem could prevent you from logging in.
Also make sure there are no unavailable PBS/NFS/SMB/... storages, as this might cause the login to fail too.

Last edited:
What exactly have you tried?

Did you check that actually "PAM" was selected as the realm and not "PVE"?
No capslock set or wrong keyboard layout?
Check using SSH/local console if your root filesystem is full (df -h), as a read-only filesystem could prevent you from logging in.
Also make sure there are no unavailable PBS/NFS/SMB/... storages, as this might cause the logging to fail too.
I tried to perform a local backup of a single VM, but a message appeared stating that there was not enough space (also another error, because my hd is 1tb and proxmox only recognizes 100gb)

Then you most likeley filled up your root filesystem to 100% so it can't write any data anymore so basic stuff like logins are failing. Then you would need to access the CLI and delete some unneeded files, like the failed backup.

Then you most likeley filled up your root filesystem to 100% so it can't write any data anymore so basic stuff like logins are failing. Then you would need to access the CLI and delete some unneeded files, like the failed backup.
I just joined to say that while your comment was helpful .. it was also absolutely useless ..
maybe try explaining to the person how exactly to delete unneeded files using command line ..
Do better . not everyone is on the same level .

I just joined to say that while your comment was helpful .. it was also absolutely useless ..
maybe try explaining to the person how exactly to delete unneeded files using command line ..
I did that dozens of times in detail with the commands and full explanation. If the same question gets asked some hundred or thousand times I can't write a detailed answer each time repeating myself. If I'm low on time I point out what the problem might be so people can do some research on their own. Shouldn't be that hard to use google or the forums search function to find a more detailed answer to the problem.
Something like: https://www.google.com/search?q="proxmox"+"forum"+"dunuin"+"root+filesystem"+"full"

Reactions: _gabriel

So, instead of using some search engine and/or the forum search for such a basic and common, not specific to Proxmox products, task and/or asking for further help in an existing thread or opening a new thread (which you did afterwards: [1]), your very first action is to command a volunteer helper to "do better"...nice one!

[1] https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/t...hic-no-space-left-on-device-99-99-full.143949

Reactions: Dunuin
Firstly, this statement is self-contradictory; something that's helpful, cannot in any fashion, be defined as "absolutely useless".

Secondly, I would believe the best way to measure whether someone's advice was helpful & useful, is to see if it was successful. The OP ("César Mendonça") appears to have managed to correct his system, based on Dunuin's accurate diagnosis; no more posts from OP. I also believe, that you ("Tyson_Sean") gained the knowledge to know, that disk space can be a factor with GUI login, from Dunuin's post. I think that tells the whole story. Dunuin's post was absolutely useful, helpful & successful. In my humble opinion, usually a concise post is more helpful & useful. Longer posts, especially in the above scenario, tend to become less accurate & helpful, by their nature. Exactly how this OP should free space on his root filesystem, will be very dependent on his specific setup. See the details of your own topic, to solve your personal scenario. (I'm happy to see there that you actually thank bbgeek17 for his, as usual, excellent advice). In summary: often "general" help is far more useful & helpful.

By your own statement: "you just joined to say ...."; so you're one of those lurkers, who anonymously browses the forum for help, harnessing the forum's enormous wealth of computing knowledge, given by experts like Dunuin, who tirelessly spend hours helping others immediately & future reviewers, and instead of having the decency of thanking him, decide to join the forum just so that you can lash out. I can understand your frustration when you have a system problem, Dunuin is not the target for that frustration. Quite the opposite - he's taken the selfless decision to try & help.

No one should treat any user on this forum, as if they were some wiki-bot behind a CLI. We are all human (I hope!).

Forgive my tone, I'm not annoyed with you, but I believe this just has to be said, if not just for the sake that others who browse this awesome forum may take a pointer from my comment.

Reactions: Dunuin
There is no reason to argue.
I get a notification each time someone posts anything in a thread I ever posted in. I read all of those and try to answer them if there is anything I'm able to contribute.
If one of my answers isn't clear enough, there is always the option to follow up with some more specific questions, so I will give some more detailed answers.

Last edited:
Reactions: gustav and fabian

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!