Reset user password in Ubuntu 22.04 server VM [SOLVED]

b.d4w

Feb 15, 2024
Hi, I basically have this VM that needs the password changed, but nobody knows the username or password, and also the sudo credentials.

I've tried to reboot the VM and enter the GRUB by spamming, F10, Shift, Esc, E, and a combination of them at the same time - even tried Ctrl + Alt + Del - but it doesn't do anything and just takes me to the login.

I've tried changing the boot order of the VM, but the option just doesn't exist when I try to change it.
I've also tried adding the ISO file to the VM, so I can try boot it with the installation media but it doesn't allow me to do that either - and I don't have a 'Hardware' tab either.
I'm not sure what else to try.

1708015807538.png1708015925181.png

I believe it's 7.4-4?

I've logged onto the virtual environment (like where you can build the VMs, etc) using root

I believe I have access to the PVE Shell for the Node (not for the individual VM)

I dont know why you wouldnt have access to hardware of VM since your screenshot is missing vital portions. My guess is you are looking at container - based on a few lines you didnt cut out.
If it is indeed VM and not a CT, then you can use CLI to augument VM config and add a CDrom/ISO.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

I think it might be a container yes - It has the 'cube' picture next to its name

1708017855464.png

Is that a problem if it is a container?

Ah yes you were right - I was using a container, and the containers don't have the 'Hardware' tab; I also don't think they allow you to boot the GRUB menu since it's lightweight?

I went to the Shell for the node, and then used this to login to the root user as if I was on the container:

Code:
pct enter [VMID] #102 in my case
passwd
# entered a password

I was then able to login to the actual container with the root user.

Thanks for your help.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!