[SOLVED] Replicate storage and network configurations when installing over Debian 12

eaglw

May 3, 2024
Hi, I'm having some trouble while installing Proxmox 8.2 on a HP ProLiant DL360 G7, using a vga display. When I start the GUI installation process the display stops working, and when I try TUI the server goes into sleep mode. The same applies with a proxmox 7.4 iso. Passing argument like "nomodeset" before launching the installer did not work. I hade trouble also with iLO3. Proxmox 5.x works, but it's EOL so I can't upgrade.

The only procedures that has worked so far was installing proxmox over a fresh Debian 12. The install guide is relatively straightforward, but adding the node to a cluster showed some problems. I was trying to migrate a LXC and I found storage and network mismatches between the nodes:
- Local storage takes all the installation disk, blocking me to create a local-lvm to migrate LXC.
- There isn't the default vmbr0 network bridge, and I could not figure it out how to make it work even after adding it from the GUI.

My plan is to start again from a fresh Debian 12 install.
So, my question is, how can I be sure to replicate the exact storage and network config of the Proxmox iso? Can this be done in the GUI? Or any other idea to solve this problem?

Thanks for your help!

how can I be sure to replicate the exact storage
Spend a bit more time in this area of the installation:
  1. Manual partitioning: If you prefer to have complete control over the disk partitioning process, you can choose manual partitioning. This option allows you to customize and define the partitions according to your specific requirements.
network config of the Proxmox iso
If simply adding matching configuration directly into file does not work for you, then, I believe, you can install PVE and then use PVE GUI to add a bridge.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Thanks!
Spend a bit more time in this area of the installation:
Should i just try to emulate the lsblk partiontion scheme of another node? How can i be sure that the storage would be in the pve volume group? or it's not necessary?
you can install PVE and then use PVE GUI to add a bridge.
Tried but migration or even network access from any LXC or VM didn't work. I'll try it again. Networking stuff it's still kinda obscure to me.

Should i just try to emulate the lsblk partiontion scheme of another node? How can i be sure that the storage would be in the pve volume group? or it's not necessary?
If you want to have two+ nodes in a cluster, with simple storage presentation of common "local-lvm", then the VG name and ThinPool name should match across the nodes. They dont have to be the same size.
During Debian install you can simply create a dedicated Root partition and LVM the rest after the installation. There are many ways to slice the disk.

good luck

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Thanks again for the reply. Unfortunately I haven't enough technical skill to do it, so I've choosen another route.
For future references:
To install the latest pve version in the HP ProLiant DL360 G7 I've used the new Automated Install procedure, that it's well documented in the official wiki.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!