Rename proxmox local node

S

schekin

if i change /etc/hosts Proxmox-VE to myserver1 apache dont start , trouble whith sert files

Help me rename Proxmox-VE host name to MyserverHostName

version Proxmox-VE 2.0

Does that mean the Proxmox install script uses the output of "hostname" or "hostname -f" during installation on a Debian squeeze server?
I am currently having issues installing a valid ssl certificate I just bought and have a feeling that it has to do with the former self-signed certificate which wasn't a full-qualified one (only hostname, not hostname.domain.tld).

Do I need to make sure the output of "hostname" also gives a full-qualified name, respectively /etc/hostname?

Normally it shouldn't.

With reference to my post here #1:
How can I make sure the correct hostname will be used during installation? I just did a clean install but the resulting cluster node name is still not full-qualified resulting in the java applet error mentioned in my post after changing the self-signed SSL certificates in /etc/pve/local to official ones. Or is this issue not related to the hostname in /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts?

Maybe you could answer to the other post if possible, thanks a lot .-)

Br
Julian

Last edited:
How can I make sure the correct hostname will be used during installation? I just did a clean install but the resulting cluster node name is still not full-qualified resulting

I am not sure what you talk about. I already told you that the hostname should NOT be full-qualified. So what you get after installation is correct.

I understand the hostname should not be full-qualified in normal cases, that is not my point.

I only had the idea if this could be somehow related to my issue with changing the self-signed SSL certificates to those I officially bought from the StartSSL trust center.
According to your statement it is correct that the self-signed certificate only includes the hostname, not the FQDN (which I find to be quite unusual by the way). I assume the java applet itself is also somehow signed during installation or at least there is a parameter set anywhere which also only includes the hostname, not the complete FQDN. As long as the SSL certificate's common name fits to that java applets setting the VNC console is working just fine. But as soon as one changes the SSL certificates there seems to be a gab between them and the java applet which results in the error message "Error: TLS handshake failed javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: java.security.cert.CertificateExceprion: certificate does not match"

This is only an assumption from my side but sound quite reasonable to me.

If course this is not related to the hostname and rename topic but I wanted to explain it here for you.
I would appreciate if you could answer to my other post related to the SSL topic, I will update the post with my more detailed description from above.

Regards,
Julian

Hm, at least one could interpret your (quite brief) statement that way. If I got it wrong please accept my apology.

Anyhow, are you now saying that the created self-signed SSL cert as well as the java applet configuration/sign should include an FQDN?
If that is the case, why am I missing this from my clean installation even if I considered the correct hostname file (only hostname without domain name) and hosts file (public IP followed by FQDN and hostname) before starting the installation?
What could be wrong?

(Falls es leichter fällt, wir können auch gerne in Deutsch schreiben).

Regards,
Julian

What could be wrong?

I suggest you compare the pve default certificates with your ones - It should be easy to detect the differences.

# openssl x509 -in /etc/pve/local/pve-ssl.pem -text

(compare 'Subject' and 'X509v3 Subject Alternative Name' attribute)

If you change related information on the host (hostname, IP) you should regenerate that certificate with:

# pvecm updatecertss --force

(And reboot the node to make sure all services re-read the correct certs).

i accomplished it by editing
/etc/hosts
123.123.123.123 myawesome.hostname.com myawesome

/etc/hostname
myawesome.hostname.com

then i ran a /etc/init.d/hostname.sh start and rebooted the box - the certs were recreated automatically and the name was changed ...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!