[SOLVED] Really High SSD Wearout - Samsung 990 PRO

Jetro

Jul 19, 2023
Hello everyone,

Some months ago I set up a Intel NUC 13 (i5 13th gen, 64 GB) as homelab to run 9 little VMs.

The SSD i mounted is a 2TB Samsung 990 PRO.

Space used on the SSD is 107 GB out of 1.84TB and the vms are 8 Debian and 1 Ubuntu doing really little things (web servers which are used only by me, Asterisk PBX, DNS Server, Reverse Proxy).

CPU usage is always 1 - 1.5 % and memory lower than 16 GB. Also HD usage and I/O are really low.

SSD is a single LVM volume and I have 2 backup tasks running every night.

In something about 5 months the SSD wearout treshold is showing 18% with only 2.5 TB written :oops:

I've read of usage problems in ZFS configuration and I can understand them, but I wasn't expecting this on a single disk.

I'd be glad if someone can tell me where I'm wrong, or better if that wearout % is not actually the real one as I'm thinking when reading SMART values.

Code:
SMART/Health Information (NVMe Log 0x02)
Critical Warning:                   0x00
Temperature:                        36 Celsius
Available Spare:                    100%
Available Spare Threshold:          10%
Percentage Used:                    18%
Data Units Read:                    33,585,815 [17.1 TB]
Data Units Written:                 4,724,296 [2.41 TB]
Host Read Commands:                 253,211,463
Host Write Commands:                215,180,408
Controller Busy Time:               1,644
Power Cycles:                       9
Power On Hours:                     380
Unsafe Shutdowns:                   4
Media and Data Integrity Errors:    0
Error Information Log Entries:      0
Warning  Comp. Temperature Time:    0
Critical Comp. Temperature Time:    0
Temperature Sensor 1:               36 Celsius
Temperature Sensor 2:               35 Celsius

Thank you

SOLUTION: It seem to be an SSD problem: searching for the specific SSD model: The 990 Pro, I found lots of people with same readings even on Windows.

Hope this will be helpful to someone

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!