RAID card crashing

rgfincher

Dec 11, 2010
London
www.room101.co.uk
I'm experiencing an issue whereby my host machine's RAID card goes offline or read-only, when an rsync job is run within a CT guest.
I believe the problem is hardware related, but my hardware vendor is saying it could be down to an issue with Proxmox PVE.
It occurs mainly when I run an rsync job within a CT guest (scheduled backup in the middle of the night).
Initially, the problem was on Proxmox 1.9 but have now upgraded to 2.1 and it made no difference.
Some forum posts I've seen, describe similar problems when running rsync within in a CT guest, so I was wondering whether this is a known issue.

I think my hardware vendor is concerned that if they travel 100 miles to swap out the RAID card, power supply and backplane, it might make no difference to my issue.

The rsync job I'm referred to, didn't always cause this problem.

My RAID card is an Areca 1212 configured with three SATA drives.

If I've left out any pertinent information, please let me know.

image.jpg
Can you post the new log from the RAID card?

Hmm, I don't think anything gets logged to the logfiles, although something is sent to the console, which I've posted a screenshot of earlier in this thread. Here's are output of the RAID card's internal log, but I don't think this says much of use

Code:
Date-Time            Device           Event Type            Elapsed Time Errors===============================================================================
2013-08-25 00:44:01  H/W MONITOR      Raid Powered On
2013-08-25 00:24:24  H/W MONITOR      Raid Powered On
2013-08-25 00:12:46  H/W MONITOR      Raid Powered On
2013-08-24 23:58:06  H/W MONITOR      Raid Powered On
2013-08-23 08:30:33  SW API Interface API Log In
2013-08-23 05:46:01  H/W MONITOR      Raid Powered On
2013-08-23 05:44:05  H/W MONITOR      Raid Powered On
2013-08-23 05:42:51  H/W MONITOR      Raid Powered On

Last edited:
Update: They swapped out the RAID card and now everything's fine. Thanks for the input however, it was important to rule out Proxmox PVE as a possible cause, and I'm glad to be able to run rsync within a CT, without any problems now.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!