Question: Can we have a cluster with 2 nodes that are clones of each other?

BreaksIni7

Feb 13, 2022
Hello, sorry if this has already been answered somewhere, I couldn't find this specific scenario.
So, basically I have 2 servers in a home network that I would like to be identical replicas (or clones) of each other. Like a thoeretical Proxmox VE RAID setup. Where both servers have the same everything, including storage.
I wasn't sure if a cluster was the answer because I'm not sure if you can have 2 identical nodes that stay in sync in everyway together. Or if PBS was the answer, because I'm looking for more that just VM backups. I want the storage pools containing my data to stay in sync and identical as well, the Proxmox VE to be identical, and all the VMs to be identical. My thoughts for why I want this setup like this is that, if my proxmox VE install went down, I would need more than just a PBS back up to retore. I want to consider everything in my primary server (node) mission critical and want to be able to recover everything no matter what scenario plays out for an outage.
I don't plan on running both nodes (servers) 100% at all times, just one, and then the other node (backup node) would only power on once to twice per week in order to ensure it is perfectly in synce (cloned) with my node (server) that is on 24/7.

Does this sound like a possibility? If so what solution should I research for this?

Thanks in advance to anyone reading this and offering potential soultions for this scenario.

I wasn't sure if a cluster was the answer because I'm not sure if you can have 2 identical nodes that stay in sync in everyway together.
With 2 PVE servers + some third machine as a qdevice you could create a cluster and use ZFS replication so both nodes store the same VMs. They will never be totally in sync and if one node goes down you will lose the last minute of data. You could then either manually start that VM on the other node or set up HA so it will be started automatically. But then those two nodes should run 24/7 or otherwise they won't be in sync and you won't benefit from additional redundancy in case a node fails.

Last edited:
Reactions: BreaksIni7

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!