Question about installation with DRBD

F

Fab

Dear all,

I am currently testing the DRBD with Proxmox 1.9.

I created 2 virtual Proxmox servers on a productive physical Proxmox server. Server has only SATA 3 chip, nothing enormously powerful but not bad neither. These virtual servers have direct access to CPU host + to 1 physical HDD for the DRBD thought VirtIO interface.

All is fine, documentation is nearly perfect. However, I am now performing the initial synchronization (drbdadm -- --overwrite-data-of-peer primary r0). This sync will take around 5 days for 2 x 1 TB.

Is it normal or should it be faster on physical servers? Are they some tricks to speed it up? (there is actually nothing to sync because installation is fresh)

I'm a bit surprised, because for comparison, Windows 2008 R2 software RAID takes less than 3 hours to sync 2 x 1 TB disk thought VirtIO interface.

Thanks for any help!

check the DRBD docs. and do performance tests only on real hardware.

most important parts: fast hardware raid controller with BBU and a fast link between the two DRBD nodes - 10gbit or Infiniband or others.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!