[SOLVED] QEMU exited with code 1 - PCIE Passthrough not working.

djkay2637

Apr 4, 2024
Good afternoon All,

I have been frantically attempting to resolve an issue that, i have to admit, has been keeping me awake at night. Like lots of people, i have been migrating away from ESXI and over to PM VE. So far so good with my homelab server.

I have a fresh install of the latest 8.2.2 on a ZFS SSD, set iOMMU to on, followed every tutorial i can find but when i attempt to pass my HBA card through to a VM, i get the error below. It did work fine in ESXI so i know the bios is set correctly.

This is the error:
Code:
kvm: -device vfio-pci,host=0000:07:00.0,id=hostpci0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x10: vfio 0000:07:00.0: failed to setup container for group 50: Failed to set group container: Invalid argument
TASK ERROR: start failed: QEMU exited with code 1

There are no other devices on Group 50. I have backlisted the mpt3sas driver, however when PM boots, the disks from the SAS card are visible within Proxmox VE. ( not sure if this is relevant) When the VM starts, they do disappear.

Server is a HP DL380e G8. PCIE device:
Code:
07:00.0 Serial Attached SCSI controller: Broadcom / LSI SAS2008 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 [Falcon] (rev 03)
        DeviceName: Storage Controller
        Subsystem: Broadcom / LSI 9211-8i
        Kernel driver in use: vfio-pci
        Kernel modules: mpt3sas

The VM is a q35 type, RAM ballooning off and i am using the same settings as i did for my SuperMicro server which worked as expected.

Does anybody have any suggestions i could try?

Thank you in advance,
Kind regards,
Dan.

is there anything relevant visible in the journal when you tried to start the vm?

also can you post the complete output of 'dmesg' ?

This is the [ 51.191472] vfio-pci 0000:07:00.0: Firmware has requested this device have a 1:1 IOMMU mapping, rejecting configuring the device without a 1:1 mapping. Contact your platform vendor.

Thanks for your reply.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!