PVE igoring bwlimit set in /etc/vzdump.conf

donwito

Feb 29, 2024
Hey All,

I have a PVE installation that is making backups to the NFS storage over the network. Everything is working fine but when I want to limit the bandwidth used by the backup, the setting seems to be ignored. Here's my /etc/vzdump.conf:

Code:
# vzdump default settings

#tmpdir: DIR
#dumpdir: DIR
#storage: STORAGE_ID
#mode: snapshot|suspend|stop
bwlimit: 650000
#performance: [max-workers=N][,pbs-entries-max=N]
#ionice: PRI
#lockwait: MINUTES
#stopwait: MINUTES
#stdexcludes: BOOLEAN
#mailto: ADDRESSLIST
#prune-backups: keep-INTERVAL=N[,...]
#script: FILENAME
#exclude-path: PATHLIST
#pigz: N
#notes-template: {{guestname}}

The only setting I want to enforce is bwlimit. Yet, the backup is still eating up the whole available bandwidth.
I found some other threads about other backup settings being ignored and the proposed solution was to create a local backup first, then offload to a NFS share. This seems... odd. I mean, it's a lot of complication only to enforce a bandwidth limit. Any other ideas will be appreciated.

Best,
dw

@UdoB well, thank you, that was probably one of the silliest mistakes I could have made. I read some tutorial that said Kbps instead of KBps and I just blindly followed. Problem solved.

Reactions: UdoB

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!