PVE has changed it's web config IP to something unreachable

symo85

Jan 10, 2024
Hi all,

Thanks in advance for any help.

Been running PVE all year, fantastic. My server has changed it's listed web confim ip from 192.168.0.99 to 192.168.100.2 the issue being that 100.2 is not something that can be reached (even pinged from the PVE itself).

If I ping .99 from the PVE it goes through, if pinging the gateway it goes through, it's listed on the router as .99, if I ping 100.2 from PVE it does not go through.

My main VM that boots on PVE boot has full network / web access, inc being visible to the remote software installed.

If it's of note, I have a second VM that is meant to boot with PVE but is either not booting, or is not reachable to network/web (has network shares on it and remote software none of which show up). If it's of note (or a coincidence), I have a secondary SSD that is used by the second VM (just as data storage), I took the SSD out to see what it looked like outside of the system (i.e. to another laptop), I put it back in and this IP situation happened at the same time.

Pics of

show IP
20240504_124148b.jpg

and pings
20240504_124259bb.jpg

Cheers
Symo

My server has changed it's listed web confim ip from 192.168.0.99 to 192.168.100.2 the issue being that 100.2 is not something that can be reached (even pinged from the PVE itself).
192.168.100.2/24 is the default when installing PVE without network connectivity.

Whats the output of cat /etc/network/interfaces?

hmm...should my /etc/hosts list the 100.2 ip or 0.99 ip?
20240504_192256b.jpg

(apologies if I should have edited my previous post rather than double post)

Last edited:
Should be your 192.168.0.99.
You probably installed PVE with the default 192.168.100.2, later changed it to 192.168.0.99 but forgot to also edit your hosts file.

thanks, I was in the middle or changing it anyway to try...it's fixed the msg that says where to log into the web config page the right address now, but trying to log in still says can't be reached...

Another piece of odd behaviour is that the router says that PVE is offline, even though the VM is picked up by the router and other things, until I log into the command line and run a ping, as soon as I run a ping the router picks it up and shows as online...not sure if that is just my router software that doesn't see it online until it see PVE do some network activity, and PVE does zero activity until something in initiated...

Any other thoughts?

edit:
okay...this is one thing I didn't think to try (after pinging from my laptop to see if that works, seeing what ports were open on PVE, then using powershell on my win laptop to ping 8006 on PVE and seeing it up) logging on with a different browser!!...times out on chrome, works fine on edge...sooo weird...

thanks for your help...hopefully I'm back up and running...

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!