PVE do not see disks in external enclosure after it was powered off and on

EgoistOD

Sep 27, 2023
Hi
Have PVE 8.1.4
installed on MacMini Late 2014
1 flash drive and sata drive inside.
External enclosure connected to Thunderbolt 2 port.
OWC Enclosure with two 3.5 SATA drives.

It is my home lab.
I have a few VM that do not need to be powered up all the time.
They stored in those two 3.5 SATA disks, which I would like to power off when is not in use.
My goal to have those disk powered on and off by smart socket. This part done and works.

but after following steps.
Stop VMs.
run command systemctl stop mnt-pve-Main_VM_Disk.mount

After some time
Power on enclosure
run command systemctl start mat-pve-Main_VM_Disk.mount
it fails
A dependency job for mnt-pve-Main_VM_Disk.mount failed. See 'journalctl -xe' for details.
Feb 22 14:03:47 pxmve pvestatd[1562]: unable to activate storage 'Main_VM_Disk'

lsdev
gives output with all disk except those.
Tried other ways found on inet to find those disk, but seems that system lost them and do not try to find.

The only way that works - reboot entire cluster.

Anybody ? Is it possible somehow to ask system to rescan devices without rebooting ?

Have you tried rescanning the scsi bus?

There is the script rescan-scsi-bus.sh from package sg3-utils that does that. Please try.

Thanks !

I've tried this command

for host in /sys/class/scsi_host/*; do echo "- - -" | sudo tee $host/scan; ls /dev/sd* ; done

do not see.

Installed ag3-utils
run rescan
it script was running much longer then above set of command, but with the same result :-(

I'm going outside the box here, but try leaving the disks on all the time for a month and see how much your power bill goes up. Much less trouble than trying to do what you planned. And much less wear and tear on the disk.

Other scenario: Host these files on something low-power, like a raspberry pi with SSD storage (no spinning disk) or spin-down the disk with hdparm.

Just make sure you have backups, the disk(s) WILL die eventually.

Hi Kingneutron,

My intention was - to try :)
Probably I miss something and somebody has solution.

Yes, it consume not too much energy 19 w (to be precise), but it is interesting to have such possibility.

Seems it is limitation of my hardware.

Hi

homelabenthusiast,​

Yip. have tried. reply - it should mounted disk (don't remember exact wording), but it is not.

I found pattern. if cable from Mac mini to enclosure pulled out and then plugged in, then I could restart service for that exclosure (means mnt-pve-Name of Directory). If I just turn supply off and then on and do not touch a cable, then no luck.

Probably it is limitation of MacMini as hardware.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!