proxmox with external ceph cluster and EC pool

FiveAces

Mar 3, 2024
I have set up a Proxmox 8 ceph cluster with an EC pool called tsPool1.
Now I want to connect an independent standalone proxmox 8 host to that cluster using rbd.

I used the GUI Datacenter->Storage-> Add feature to setup the storage.
The storage is created but I only get a connect when I use the pool tsPool1-metadata.
However, the host->Storage->Summary reports the wrong pool size (3.2TB) where the ceph cluster in host->Storage->Pool->summary shows 5.6TB.
Using this setting I can still create rbds and setup and run a VM.

But I am suspicous that the data goes into the place.

When I compare the /etc/pve/storage.cfg of a ceph host to the single host I find differences:

ceph:
Code:
rbd: tsPool1
        content images,rootdir
        data-pool tsPool1-data
        krbd 0
        pool tsPool1-metadata

single host:
Code:
rbd: rbd
        content images,rootdir
        krbd 0
        monhost 10.10.8.201
        pool tsPool1-metadata
        username admin

I have setup one VM directly in the ceph cluster (rbd 32GB) and one in the single host (rbd 32GB):

the GUI of the cluster node->Ceph->Pools reports:
cephpool.png
So apparently the data of the single host goes into the wrong pool.

My question is how can I properly connect to an EC pool from an external host and create rbds?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!