Proxmox Windows As PodCast / Video Editing Solution ? issues?

compumatter

Nov 3, 2023
I've got a very powerful system and I'd like to use it for more than just my one Windows install.

I really like the idea of running my Windows machine over Proxmox which would allow me to have other VM projects.

However I am using a BlackMagic ATEM Mini Extreme, a high end NVIDIA graphics card, a BlackMagic Camera etc... and I'm wondering if anyone has tried to this using passthrough's with any success

"PodCast / Video Editing Solution" sounds like you rely on it and a lots of low latency + high bandwidth IO. Problems like crackling audio also isn't uncommon when working with passthrough. I'm already annoyed by it when consuming media but it must be horrible when creating media. In that case I would stick with bare metal Windows and get another machine running Proxmox for your VM projects. Depending on what you are planning to run in VMs, that can't be run on your Windows, you maybe don't need an expensive/powerful server and something like a 200$ N100 MiniPC would do the job just fine. Also got the benefit that you would shut down that power-hungy Workstation when not actively needed and your selfhosted services could still continue running 24/7 on that other power efficient machine.

Another option would be to run Windows bare metal and then use Hyper-V on top of that to run your VMs.

If you still want to virtualize everything, you probably want a Workstation/Server Platform as you need enough PCIe lanes to passthrough a GPU + USB controller card (+ maybe soundcard) for each VM you want to run in parallel that should give you bare-metal-like experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: UdoB
Running a Windows VM over Proxmox for video editing, especially with high-end hardware like yours, can definitely work, but you'll want to pay close attention to how you configure your VM for hardware passthrough. Making sure your NVIDIA graphics card and the BlackMagic hardware are properly passed through to the VM is crucial for performance. This involves tweaking some settings in Proxmox for the VM, which can be a bit technical but is well-documented.

Regarding your video editing setup, using intuitive tools can make a big difference in managing your projects efficiently. Movavi, for example, offers features like AI-driven background removal and noise reduction, along with user-friendly drag-and-drop interfaces for filters and transitions. This could streamline your editing process, especially when dealing with multiple layers or complex sequences in your video editing software.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!