Proxmox Win11 Blue Screen and Nested Virtualization FIXED!!??

Carlos34

Nov 23, 2023
Hello

This is not a support request, it's just a post to explain my experience hoping it will help someone.

After several hours (days) investigating, I have been able to have a windows 11 machine with Virtual Box nested virtualization. First of all I'm going to put my configuration and later I'll share my experience:

Of course, I followed this document: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Nested_Virtualization

But it was not enough because I got blue and autorepair screens, as many other people in this forum

Now, i got this config working:

- CPU -> host
- Windows features:​
  • Windows feater Hyper-v ON
  • Virtual Machine Patform off
  • Windows hypervisor Plarform off

My experience was that I had a W11 machine working fine, and suddenly it was not able to boot. It showed a blus screen autorepair screen. I tried tons of solutions and configurations in .conf files with many "args:" opctions that appears to work for others. I also changed CPU from HOST to x86-64-vs-AES and other options like turn KVM off.

The strange behavior was that when I changed to default CPU (KVM64), windows was able to run, but Virtual Box reported:

- WHvCapabilityCodeHypervisorPresent is FALSE! Make sure you have enabled the 'Windows Hypervisor Platform' feature.​

Then I changed the CPU to HOST again, windows starts and Virtualbox worked... until next boot. After shutdown and boot, it fails again. I had to change CPU to default, start windows, shutdown Windows, change CPU, start windows... and it works... until next restart.

I tried clean installations, different CPU, Graphic cards, tips, .conf configuration, args, flags... nothing worked.

Until I decided to write this post and I tried to get all the information that could be useful. I that point, I checked all the setups in Proxmox and Windows in order to explain the problem and I realized that with the configuration I have posted at the beginning, IT WORKS!.

Don't ask me why. The only thing I did different was
  • Windows feater Hyper-v ON
  • Virtual Machine Patform off
  • Windows hypervisor Plarform off

Because all the previous tries were done with Windows Feature: Virtual Machine Patform -> ON

I leave this here with the hope that it will be useful for someone.

And... of course, if it suddenly fails again, I'll be back here :)

Regards,
Carlos

Next step is to be able to make windows doesn't recognize himself a running in VM. I have also tried all recommendations I have found in forums. I'll thank any new idea.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!