Proxmox VE configuration considerations

TBH I never needed to do that before. But this time I wanted to have such option, to be able easily extend space when needed.
Maybe not the way I wanted, but I know how do it another way. If I ever need to do it, it is rather later than sooner.
More important feature is ability to migrate VM between nodes mostly in case of failure.

TBH I never needed to do that before. But this time I wanted to have such option, to be able easily extend space when needed.
Maybe not the way I wanted, but I know how do it another way. If I ever need to do it, it is rather later than sooner.
Thank you for explaining. In my line of work, if the disks get full, they also have a higher IOPS load, so we add just a bunch of disks at once with the same IOPS profile than the previous groups or vdevs, so that not only the space, but also the performance scales linearly. Expanding an existing group does only the former, but not the later. IOPS is still the same.

More important feature is ability to migrate VM between nodes mostly in case of failure.
That can be done with a dedicated shared storage (e.g. SAN, NAS via NFS, iSCSI or CIFS) or dedicated shared storage (CEPH, GFS2) or even ZFS replication, but that is - at least for me - not a worthy cluster base.

That can be done with a dedicated shared storage (e.g. SAN, NAS via NFS, iSCSI or CIFS) or dedicated shared storage (CEPH, GFS2)
As I mentioned at the beginning of this thread, that is not an option. I'm using NAS via NFS for backup purposes and ISOs storage only.
My goal is to have as best performance and fail-proof as it is possible with given means.

As I mentioned at the beginning of this thread, that is not an option.
I know, I just wanted to state again that those are the options and you can now choose one of them, namely ZFS replication, and it is the worst of all with repsect to a multi-node cluster setup. Sadly, it'll be the most work, the most error prone and overall not a good experience.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!