ProxMox VE 1.9 Windows KVM and Debian openVZ fail to start

Petrus4

Feb 18, 2009
I upgraded from 1.8 to 1.9 about a month ago with no issues.

Since then there have been no kernel changes or other updates. I noticed the server was running slower than normal and rebooted the virtual environment. After the reboot the following happened:

one of my ubuntu openVZ instances start up with out issues.
the second ones takes a very long time to start.
One Debian openVz start up hangs on boot. Boot process seem to hang here.
3 Windows server 2003 kvm instances will not start. on boot or manually.

I have to manually start apache2 to get to the web interface.

When I try to manually start KVM W2k3 servers I get the following error:

Code:
 VM 102 start failed: command '/usr/bin/kvm -monitor unix:/var/run/qemu-server/102.mon,server,nowait -vnc unix:/var/run/qemu-server/102.vnc,password -pidfile /var/run/qemu-server/102.pid -daemonize -usbdevice tablet -name HEC-SRV2 -smp sockets=2,cores=4 -nodefaults -boot menu=on,order=cn -vga cirrus -tdf -localtime -rtc-td-hack -k en-us -drive file=/var/lib/vz/images/102/vm-102-disk-1.raw,if=ide,index=0,cache=none -drive file=/dev/vmdisks/vm-102-disk-1,if=ide,index=1,cache=none,boot=on -m 2048 -netdev type=tap,id=vlan0d0,ifname=tap102i0d0,script=/var/lib/qemu-server/bridge-vlan -device e1000,mac=8E:1C:CB:A5:0E:59,netdev=vlan0d0 -id 102 -cpuunits 1000' failed with exit code 1

Here is my pveversion -v

Code:
pve-manager: 1.9-26 (pve-manager/1.9/6567)
running kernel: 2.6.32-7-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 1.9-55+ovzfix-2
pve-kernel-2.6.18-2-pve: 2.6.18-5
pve-kernel-2.6.32-7-pve: 2.6.32-55+ovzfix-2
qemu-server: 1.1-32
pve-firmware: 1.0-15
libpve-storage-perl: 1.0-19
vncterm: 0.9-2
vzctl: 3.0.29-3pve1
vzdump: 1.2-16
vzprocps: 2.0.11-2
vzquota: 3.0.11-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 0.15.0-2
ksm-control-daemon: 1.0-6

Does anyone have any ideas why this could be happening? If I need to provide any more info let me know.

extra note: if I try to edit any settings in the web gui for the VM's that are not starting I get a "Error unable to apply VM settings"

Ok I am dumbfounded. I went for a run and a work out and decided I was going to run a backup of all VM's and then re-install the VE + restore all VM's the backups would not run from the Web Gui so I ran it from the command line in snapshot mode. When I did this all the VM's came back up!
Not sure what is going on here.. Does anyone have any thoughts?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!