Proxmox suddenly not accessible via web gui, SSH or ping. Appears to be still working via terminal on device itself.

Fookes

Mar 27, 2024
I'm making this enquiry on behalf of a friend but seeing as I got him in to this I feel kind of responsible! That said, I'm still an absolute novice so terminology will likely be well off. Please be gentle!

So, he states that after initially configuring a couple of containers (for running, Homebridge and Scrypted) he has also just added one for MQTT. All went well, he said, and the container was working. Fast forward a couple of days and he tried to access Proxmox via web GUI. He gets a ' aThis site cannot be reached'. He has tried pinging the machine running Proxmox (an old MacBook Pro connected via ethernet) without success. It also times out if trying to SSH in to it. Here's the odd thing. It appears that it is still running as he gets the login prompt in terminal on the MacBook when he restarts it. It displays the right IP address and he can log in to it. Even stranger is that Proxmox doesn't appear on his connected devices list on his router.

He has changed nothing, aside from adding MQTT container a couple of days prior (which seemed to work for a couple of days without issue). He (and I) are at a loss as to what is going on here. I'm presuming it's network-related but I'm not positive. In error he didn't give it a static IP address (although he did for the services running in containers - both of which are also unreachable).

Can anyone make any suggestions as to what has gone on here or how to remedy it? The only other bit of useless info I got from him was that an error appeared yesterday when he logged in which briefly mentioned USB but needless to say he didn't take a screenshot or make note of it! He was able ti dismiss this and boot in.

Whilst he doesn't have loads of stuff on Proxmox, he'd obviously prefer a fix rather than a wipe and fresh install.

Thanks

Hi - It's my ProxMox server which @Fookes had kindly raised the original post.

Just to elaborate on a few points - ProxMox has been working fine for a good month or two until a few days ago - rebooted the server and since then unable to communicate with it over the network. Nothing has changed in terms of network, hardware, cables etc.

The symptoms include not being able to open the web interface, unable to ping the ProxMox IP from other machines on the same network and I'm unable to ping machines on the same network from the ProxMox server. I've run a few commands to show the current config etc in the hope that someone might be able to perhaps advise on any issue they see, additional information needed or suggest things to try. Any assistance greatly appreciated!

I've run the following which can be seen in the attached image below:

Code:
ip a

Code:
ip route

I've also showed an attempt to ping the gateway (where destination is unreachable).

Many thanks in advance!

PXL_20240327_230034275.jpg

Just because you can see the IP address on the console does not mean it is connected. Not sure of the hardware you have but if you can pop the nic out and test it elsewhere, I would start with that.
If the server is unable to reach anything else on the network, it very well could be the nic. Check the led lights on the nic next to the port and see if there is activity of any kind before pulling it out.
Also, unplug the network cable and plug it back in to be sure it is seated all the way.
One last thing, in your post you mentioned you didn't set a static IP, something else could have gotten the IP. Make sure you set this within your router / firewall using the mac address of the nic. That way your router won't hand out that IP address to any other device.

Good luck!!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!