Proxmox sudden -- Reboot --

Well the case is still warm.

Did more testing. And now im not sure if its hardware issue. Device was unplugged from power and network for 2 days. Yesterdays started doing stress tests using s-tui. no crash. Did iperf3 on all NIC ports. no crash. Left device idling with containers running overnight. 11h no crash.

Not sure what to do now. Anyone got any ideas?

I still havent plugged it to my network, because it was DDOSSING my network when it was having seizure. Ill try to use it over the weekend in production mode, to see if maybe network traffic crashes it. Other than that i dont know what else to do.

I too think it is not a hardware issue.

I have the exact same problem with an ASRock Rack B650D4U mobo. Replaced the motherboard, RAM sticks and NVME separately with new ones and the problem persists. Nothing in the dmesg or journalctl -b -1 logs.

Next I am considering taking XCP-ng for a spin.

Recorded the screen at the moment and proxmox does not log anything:

MomentOfCrash.gifMomentOfCrashProxmox.gif

At the time of crash:
AtTheTimeOfCrash.png

Last edited:
Well, i really lack the knowledge to say for sure if its software or hardware issue. All i can do is provide my observations.

UPDATE:
So yesterday, after the device was up for around whole day but not connected to network, i connected it to network and started to deploy it into production mode. It was working for an hour or two and then it rebooted.. :(

Next I did reset CMOS as per manufacturers recommendations, and also plugged the ram into the other slot AND i used different eth ports on the device (in total device have 6x rj45 sockets). Left device plugged into the network, deployed in production mode over night. So far 14h Uptime.

During the day i was updating containers, backing up jobs, deploying new ones, using it with VPN (wireguard) from remote location. And it is still up.

So atm my hunch is at the bad eth ports. If it will stay up for a week on these eth ports, i will retry to use the previous ports on the device.

Check if changing the guest VM's CPU type to quemu64 or something other than host helps.

Last edited:
Check if changing the guest VM's CPU type to quemu64 or something other than host helps.
brugh..

Device was set up with the same containers not VM's 2 months ago or so, and was working with no problems for that time.

So far the uptime is 1d 11h, since i switched to different eth ports on the device and all the network traffic is going through only 2 ports.

So im thinking that the eth ports are the culprit that crash the device + the thing i noticed when it is in crashing state then my whole network goes DDOS mode and conencting to LAN services takes really long time.

Attachments

• uxbk2z9LJN.png
    uxbk2z9LJN.png
    19.8 KB · Views: 7
Well atleast for me, its back to stable now. Been a week no crashes..

All i did was:
1) formatted the device
2) reinstalled proxmox
3) was still crashing
4) Restet CMOS, Plugged the ram into other ram socket (i got 2) and plugged it into my router on a different eth socket on the device

So far its been running, backing up, and idling no problem

Attachments

• firefox_MLlV7BuLl6.png
    firefox_MLlV7BuLl6.png
    58.3 KB · Views: 2

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!