Proxmox stuck at loading initial ramdisk

Adminnovate

Apr 7, 2024
Hi all,

I am new to proxmox and linux/debian and i am used to windows but i love proxmox Gui and backup solution so i want to give it a try.
But i am really struggling to get past loading initial ramdisk.

Have read something that i might need ot change the Kernel, but i have no clue how to do that.
And somthing with initramfs but i donbt know how to change this is that in grub or bash.

How can i alter this if its not found? when using bash

Any thoughts?

Hi,

did you use the latest 8.1-2 ISO?
How did you boot the ISO? I guess via a USB flash drive - if yes, how exactly did you write the image to the USB drive?

Also, what kind of hardware are you dealing with? Motherboard/firmware vendor and version would be the most important here.

Check

I am using a asrock rack x470d4u/vn motherboard with ipmi capabilities
Indeed booted with usb and did this with rufus.
Partition scheme : MBR Bios uefi-csm
Filesystem Fat32
cluster size 8192 kb

Motherboard version is 2.2

And the version of proxmox is indeed the latest 8.1-2 iso

Last edited:
Before i had hyper-v running properly on windows server 2019 and havent formatted anything when changing to proxmox.
So the partitions r still there on the other disks. but the os has been inserted into the ssd for only OS install.

Got the same problem trying to install on a Dell PowerEdge T340. Can install Microsoft OS, ESXI, XCP-NG with no issues, but proxmox stops loading initial RAMdisk.

I tried to make a bootable usb in balena etcher and this has the same outcome stuck at loading initial ramdisk.
Can it has something to do with the fact that i have onboard graphics that cant be enable at startup? something with nomodeset?
If so how can i alter this? if this is not

Als tried to instal debian 12.5.0 this on the other hand wont even install, i see the install menu and then when i click praphical install then its shuts down my mouse and does absolutely nothing.

So it seems like i have a curse for linux based OS :(

Tried various other operating systems on a T340 and all works except proxmox.

So currently will look at something else

I have installed succesfully windwos server again, i will try to see if i can get a ubuntu machine spinning inside Hyper-v to see if that works!
I know hyper-v has nested virtualisation but i prolly can install proxmox but i cant use a hypervisior within a hypervisior so wil test to see if i can spin up proxmox to see if then the system will boot

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!