Proxmox search by IP address

rgrandori

Sep 8, 2023
Hi,

Not sure if the post is correctly placed here, if not, please move it to where it belongs, because I`m new to this forum.
Now moving on to the topic, I would love to see a search function in UI, besides the naming, ID search, to identify the VM, to look for a VM, based on IP address.

Is this function on the roadmap, because on 8.0.3 is not present, and I know it has been discussed in the past.

Being able to see the IP addresses in lists of VMs/CTs on each node, across the cluster, and being able to "search" for which object has an IP address (assuming Proxmox even "knows") would all be VERY useful. Especially at-scale.

I'm currently working with a new-to-me client and learning plenty of their Proxmox environment and at times being able to search by IP which object is using it would save me a LOT of time.

Now imagine doing the same (without search) on a cluster with like tens or hundreds of Proxmox VE nodes, and all the hundreds/thousands of VMs/CTs in total.

Yeah, we really need better tooling in this area, and I welcome other aspects too like MAC Address, and more. Not just search, column listing per-node and cluster-wide.

At this point what needs to happen for this to gain traction? The listed bugzilla issue looks stuck in the mud?

If you have the quemu guest agent installed, the guest IP is shown in the web interface, I suppose you should be able to search for it with the API, don't ask me how exactly

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!