Proxmox random reboots on HP Elitedesk 800g4 - fixed with proxmox install on top of Debian 12 - now issues with hardware transcoding in plex

Disabling TPM didn't make any difference on my machine (Elitedesk 800 mini G4 i7-8700t which was rebooting randomly).

We will see. Installing PVE right now, see if it survives tomorrow without a reboot. I don't want to disable the iGPU power management.

I don't want to disable it either but rathre that than disable all CPU power management. `enable_dc=0` doesn't disable all GPU power management - powertop shows for my headless machine the GPU spends all its time in "RC6" sleep state. It just disables the more fancy deeper sleep states, others have suggested maybe 2-3W difference.

Fairly new user to Proxmox here (less than 1 week) and I have what appear to be 'sleep' issues out of the gate.

Scenario is If left for a few hours I can come back to it and there's no HDMI output to the screen.
NUC Power light is lit permanently like it's on.
Wiggle mouse give the keyboard a poke and a few seconds later you see the NUC power light go off, hear the fans spin up, you see the BIOS screen, at this point it looks like Proxmox crashed.

Ran a memtest for 4-5 hours with no issue but then got pointed to this issue indirectly.
I don't have the ability to leave a HDMI screen plugged in so have deployed the `enable_dc=0` GRUB change so far.
Last night it didn't crash. sleep, whatever it does in my case but early days as only tended to be overnight when left alone.

FYI this is on a NUC7i7DNKE NUC with an Intel® Core™ i7-8650U Processor.

Fairly new user to Proxmox here (less than 1 week) and I have what appear to be 'sleep' issues out of the gate.

Scenario is If left for a few hours I can come back to it and there's no HDMI output to the screen.
NUC Power light is lit permanently like it's on.
Wiggle mouse give the keyboard a poke and a few seconds later you see the NUC power light go off, hear the fans spin up, you see the BIOS screen, at this point it looks like Proxmox crashed.

Ran a memtest for 4-5 hours with no issue but then got pointed to this issue indirectly.
I don't have the ability to leave a HDMI screen plugged in so have deployed the `enable_dc=0` GRUB change so far.
Last night it didn't crash. sleep, whatever it does in my case but early days as only tended to be overnight when left alone.

FYI this is on a NUC7i7DNKE NUC with an Intel® Core™ i7-8650U Processor.
Proxmox 8.0.4 I assume? If this https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/intel/-/issues/9244 issue affects Kernel 6 on Intel 8000 CPUs (now also mobile assuming your issue is the same thing), it might be worth trying Proxmox 7

Yeah I'm on 8.0.4 and that link is the same one from earlier in this thread.
Well so far I have 1d 9h uptime with no random reboot, crash, suspend whatever it was doing.
Testing ongoing as I try not to use the HDMI port to screen in case that's keeping it 'alive'.

One thing I did notice though and I'm not sure if it did this before the GRUB change is I'm seeing errors around i915
Is this problem in general a Proxmox, Intel or other areas issue as in will and is someone working on a permanent fix?

IMG_7233a.jpg

Last edited:
So far I'm at 60 hours myself. (totally stock install, no disabling iGPU power management) Maybe there was an upstream fix that is alread out?

Just checked for updates and nothing came up, I have the PVE-no-subscription defined.
proxmox-ve: 8.0.2 (running kernel: 6.2.16-19-pve)
pve-manager: 8.0.4 (running version: 8.0.4/d258a813cfa6b390)

Last edited:
So my uptime is now 3.5 days so safe to say the `enable_dc=0` GRUB change so far has held.
More a workaround than a fix but it works for now.

I found another weird behaviour, this might make my unit issue different then the rest of you (or not?). It was working fine for 10+ days without any of the workarounds applied yet, and with everything disconnected except power and lan. I decided to test the sleep function, so i put it to sleep overnight with
Code:
sudo rtcwake -m mem --date 10:00
on wakeup, it started rebooting every 2 to 20 minutes. As soon as i plugged in the usb keyboard, it stopped rebooting. After some time i unplugged the keyboard and it didn't reboot.
I tried the sleep again the next night, this time with the keyboard plugged in. Woke up and didn't reboot once.
I tried again, with the keyboard unplugged, it woke up and froze (so no reboot but completely frozen, no response from pings, had to hard shutdown), after restarting, the rebooting began, and stopped as soon as i plugged the keyboard in.
I'll finally try the workarounds, and also ask the seller for another unit to see if it has the same issues

I have a HP Elitedesk G5 8500 and its been randomly rebooting since i got it. Tried swapping memory, SSD, NVME, new thermal paste and still the same problem. Glad i found this post as i renamed the bin file mentioned and its now been up for 18 hrs!

Thanks again for the solution.

Very interesting stuff here.
I'm sad to say that this doesn't work for my HP Elitedesk 800 G4 SFF.
I renamed the bin file and also tried the kernel parameter. Still got random reboots every x hours...
From my experience it doesn't make any difference to my system if there is a monitor attached/turned on or not. It crashes independently of that.

Last edited:
Hello, that's sounds like my problem.
But the device keep active and blows, nevertheless, it was getting warmer.
The case then had quite a high temperature.

Yesterday, I set the kernel parameter and restarted the device without a monitor, and it was still running this morning.

In case someone else hasn't done something like this yet:

Code:
nano /etc/default/grub
Search for the line with
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT
and add it here in the inverted commas.
e.g.:
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet i915.enable_dc=0"
Code:
update-grub
after restart check config with
Code:
cat /proc/cmdline

Source: https://askubuntu.com/questions/19486/how-do-i-add-a-kernel-boot-parameter

Thanks for the providing the commands. I applied this and now have uptime over 1day.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!