Proxmox not booting when i remove 2nd NIC [solved]

PyCoder

Sep 22, 2023
Hi

I have two NICs in my setup and installed proxmox and now I wanted to remove one of the NICs that is not in use, but as soon as I remove the NIC proxmox won^t boot anymore.

I have no idea why, but I need that slow for my HBA.

Can someone tell me how I solve this issue?!

enp9S0 = in use
enp1s0 = not in use (removed from all VM and NOT passed through anywere)

1695400774221.png

1695400812228.png

1695401007677.png

1695401177735.png

Just to clarify: won't it boot or is it not reachable via the network? The first I cannot explain but the second is caused by the names of the network controllers being determined by the PCI ID of the controllers and those can change when you add or remove a PCI(e) device (like a network controller). Lots of threads about this. Do you have a physical keyboard and display connected to your Proxmox? Use ip a to find the new names of network devices and edit /etc/network/interfaces to match again.

Just to clarify: won't it boot or is it not reachable via the network? The first I cannot explain but the second is caused by the names of the network controllers being determined by the PCI ID of the controllers and those can change when you add or remove a PCI(e) device (like a network controller). Lots of threads about this. Do you have a physical keyboard and display connected to your Proxmox? Use ip a to find the new names of network devices and edit /etc/network/interfaces to match again.

That's my issue.
This "server" has no IGPU, GPU or any other display out. So I can't even see it. :(

Im trying now to make the Name persistent by following the debian article: https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkInterfaceNames#THE_.22PERSISTENT_NAMES.22_SCHEME

Code:
root@fortress:/etc/systemd/network# cat 10-persistent-net.link
[Match]
MACAddress=70:85:c2:XX:XX:XX

[Link]
Name=enp9s0
root@fortress:/etc/systemd/network#

Reactions: leesteken

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!