Proxmox No Network after removing GPU Passthrough

Feb 1, 2024
I successfully passed through GPU to a Linux VM and it worked flawlessly. I followed this guide here: https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/b5xpua/the_ultimate_beginners_guide_to_gpu_passthrough/

Now I need to use the GPU elsewhere so I removed the PCI device/GPU from the VM. I commented out the options vfio-pci in /etc/modprobe.d/vfio.conf and re ran update-initramfs -u and shutdown proxmox. After removing the GPU there is no network access in the Proxmox host and I cannot access the Web UI. If I re attach the GPU to the host and restart, everything works perfectly.

Please help me in how to remove the GPU properly from Proxmox host.

Pure guess: check if the interface names have changed. If yes: replace/correct them in /etc/network/interfaces.
You are exactly right and I have fixed it and its working fine now. Any guess why it changes the interface name? Do I have to pull my server, physically connect to it and change the interface name anytime I add/remove PCIE devices?

Reactions: UdoB
You are exactly right and I have fixed it and its working fine now. Any guess why it changes the interface name? Do I have to pull my server, physically connect to it and change the interface name anytime I add/remove PCIE devices?
The network device name is (by default) dependent on its PCI ID. The PCI ID of devices change by one when you add or remove PCI(e) devices. THe motherboard (BIOS) determines the PCI IDs so that cannot be fixed by Proxmox and it happens to people regularly (as this forum shows).
You can change the way the network device(s) are named to prevent this, like using the MAC addresses, using any Proxmox/Debian/Linux guide about it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!