Proxmox Mystery Random Reboots

same problem here, latest pve 8.1.4, new machine Ryzen 7900X3D 192GB RAM... DDR5 memory test ok for 24hours... in bios i tried to set all defaults disable all power management, reduce ram speed... i changed rams, i changed motherboard and power supply... nothing!!!

randomly reboots 1 day - 1 hour...no logs.

At this point there are certainly no hardware problems, I think it's a kernel problem in managing apic or energy saving

I have the same problem, proxmox 8.1.4 fully updated, ryzen 7840HS, 64GB RAM DDR5. I have tested disk, ram, cpu, they are all ok.
The pc reboots randomly without any warning and without any trace in the logs...

On the same pc i have installed Windows 11 with Hyper-V, with more or less the same virtual machines, and it works, then i have tried with ubuntu 23.10 kernel 6.5.0-25, with virtualbox and similar virtual machines, no problems too.

Now i have moved proxmox server and vm to an older pc with ryzen 2600x / 64GB ddr4 ram and works without problems.

So i think the problem is with Proxmox/Debian and ryzen 7840HS.

Manlio

I am able to reproduce random host reboots by running Aida64 stress in 3+ vm at the same time. It resolves by changing the guest CPU type to something other than host. My experience here.

Check if you can reproduce the reboot by running Aida64 stress in 3+ Windows VMs at the same time. Then change the CPU type to something meaningful other than host and check if the host reboots disappear.

A drawback of non-host type CPU is the loss of svm - Nested Virtualization (needed for WSL etc).

Let me know if you know of a CPU type with nested virtualization support that is not of type host for Ryzen 7950x!

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!