Proxmox LXCs with debian slow on update

nicedevil

Aug 5, 2021
Hi guys,

I always run into the issue on different sites, that my debian LXCs (bookworm f.e.) seem to run into a long delay before going on at this point of the update process:

1710930035498.png

Can someone tell me what I have to change that it won't sit there for 15-30 sec before going on with the update process?

Hi,

Please post the CT config pct config <CTID>.
sry for late response :(

Code:
root@pve03:~# pct config 60009
arch: amd64
cores: 1
features: keyctl=1,nesting=1
hostname: npm
memory: 1024
net0: name=eth0,bridge=vmbr0,gw=192.168.60.1,hwaddr=BC:24:11:07:08:09,ip=192.168.60.9/30,tag=60,type=veth
onboot: 1
ostype: debian
rootfs: NVMe-pool:vm-60009-disk-0,size=4G
swap: 512
tags: debian
unprivileged: 1

FYI it's not like you have a slow download mirror, apt is doing necessary things in the background (probably database type stuff) before it starts installing the downloaded packages. It has to sort through the proper order to install things, for one.

You can monitor it with ' top ' but pretty much the only change you can make besides giving it more CPU (or putting the CTR on faster disk/SSD storage) is to renice the apt process ( -10 or -15 usually makes a noticeable difference ) or launch it with a higher nice priority.

Honestly though, you're kind of obsessing over half a minute delay while it's doing necessary processing - maybe take a coffee break while it's doing its thing and just check it when you get back

FYI it's not like you have a slow download mirror, apt is doing necessary things in the background (probably database type stuff) before it starts installing the downloaded packages. It has to sort through the proper order to install things, for one.

You can monitor it with ' top ' but pretty much the only change you can make besides giving it more CPU (or putting the CTR on faster disk/SSD storage) is to renice the apt process ( -10 or -15 usually makes a noticeable difference ) or launch it with a higher nice priority.

Honestly though, you're kind of obsessing over half a minute delay while it's doing necessary processing - maybe take a coffee break while it's doing its thing and just check it when you get back

if I use ubuntu, it is running much faster, doesn't matter how much CPU cores I give to the LXC.
If I install a VM with same hardware configured for this as debian, it is at the same speed as ubuntu is on LXC. just debian LXCs are slow as... on proxmox

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!