Proxmox, Jellyfin with 1 boot SSD and 1 media HDD

arnob216

Sep 29, 2023
I understand most people care about backup, hdd failure etc. I will also care about those in future hopefully. For now, I just want to experiment an experience proxmox for 2 things as follows:

1) Have proxmox set up in ssd, all ISO, VM will be stored in the SSD. This part I think I can achieve normally.

2) But I also want to create a debian VM and somehow use the 1 HDD inside the VM which will only store my medias (through jellyfin, rr apps). Don't need this HDD for anything else, no need to back up or anything.

I am also new to linux so what I understand is if I mount the HDD as directory in say /mnt/hdd in the host, it will still not show up in the VM without further steps. If so, then what are the steps or what is that process called? Or should I better create something like LVM (I'll have only 4 gigs of ram for now) which will make the 2-storage device into 1 LVM and then I could use the HDD inside VM directly? I want to ensure I don't store media in my SSD but only the HDD.

Hello,
Do I understand you correctly, that you want proxmox running on the SSD, jellyfin running in a VM and the HDD as mediastorage for jellyfin or do you want the HDD mounted on the Host (proxmox) as described ?

Hello,
Do I understand you correctly, that you want proxmox running on the SSD, jellyfin running in a VM and the HDD as mediastorage for jellyfin or do you want the HDD mounted on the Host (proxmox) as described ?
I somehow want to use the hdd for jellyfin media. So be it through mounting to host or other process..all fine..just if it starts working then I can follow along

I actually was able to do following things yesterday:
1) Create VM/LXC and passthrough my media HDD to the VM/LXC by mounting directory from host to lxc/vm.
2) Could have used Samba/NFS share also may be as per few guides but the above has less abstraction I guess plus I dont have multi hdd setup

Reactions: hd--

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!