Proxmox Installation

Proxgbola

Mar 1, 2024
I am new to proxmox, I tried to install proxmox on HP Z440 10-Core E5-2640 v4 2.40GHz 128GB RAM 2x 2TB HDD No OS , the problem I have is the Management network configuration page. It doesn’t ping anything when I tried to check except the gateway

Reactions: ultraforce
Similar situation with a dell machine, left the gateway and IP CIDR as the defaults but have not been able to access proxmox through the web.

@Proxgbola you would need to provide:
a) output of "ip a"
b) output of "cat /etc/network/interfaces"
c) output of "ipconfig /all" or similar OS specific command from your working workstation

@ultraforce is the reason why you left the defaults during the installation because your network happens to use these values as well? Please see above for the information that is required.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

a) output of "ip a"
c) output of "ipconfig /all" or similar OS specific command from your working workstation

@ultraforce is the reason why you left the defaults during the installation because your network happens to use these values as well? Please see above for the information that is required.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox
I actually left the defaults because I'm not very familiar with network configuration and what would be the proper settings. I temporarily last year had proxmox working on the a machine using defaults so I thought it might still work roperly.

a)

1:lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
inet6 ::1/128 scope host noprefixroute
2: eno1: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast master vmbrr0 state DOWN group default qlen 1000
link/ether a4:bb:6d:d1:8e:d2 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
3: vmbr0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state DOWN group default qlen 1000
link/ether a4:bb:6d:d1:8e:d2 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
inet 192.168.100.2/24 scope global vmbr0

b)

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eno1 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 192.168.100.2/24
gateway 192.168.100.1
bridge-ports eno1
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

c)
for this I'm unclear if you mean doing that from the machine I'm trying to access the proxmox server from or not if so, here it is at the moment.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-UQ3V83Q
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : home

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Ethernet Controller (3) I225-V
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C8-7F-54-01-9A-00
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 2:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell AQtion 10Gbit Network Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C8-7F-54-01-9B-60

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 4:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : home
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Ethernet Controller (3) I225-LMvP
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 64-4B-F0-38-7B-D9
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::187f:8b46:263:405b%18(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.193(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : March 29, 2024 4:37:36 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : April 9, 2024 7:36:20 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 627330032
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-2B-8D-F4-86-C8-7F-54-01-9A-00
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : DA-80-83-82-2F-13

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 10:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : DA-80-83-82-3F-03

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : home
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : MediaTek Wi-Fi 6E MT7922 (RZ616) 160MHz Wireless LAN Card
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : D8-80-83-82-0F-33

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection 2:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network) #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : D8-80-83-82-0F-34

I actually left the defaults because I'm not very familiar with network configuration and what would be the proper settings.
There are many videos on youtube that can explain basics
eno1: <NO-CARRIER
NO CARRIER means that you have a bad cable, or a bad NIC, or a bad switch port, or did not plugin a cable at all.
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.193(Preferred)
Your current home network is on 192.168.2.0/24 subnet, meaning that only hosts that have IPs with first 3 octets of 192.168.2 can talk to each other.
inet 192.168.100.2/24 scope global vmbr0
As you can see you assigned Proxmox an IP with first 3 octets of 192.168.100 - that will not work

In summary, fix your physical connection, then change the IP of the Proxmox server and you should be ok

Good luck

There are many videos on youtube that can explain basics

NO CARRIER means that you have a bad cable, or a bad NIC, or a bad switch port, or did not plugin a cable at all.

Your current home network is on 192.168.2.0/24 subnet, meaning that only hosts that have IPs with first 3 octets of 192.168.2 can talk to each other.

As you can see you assigned Proxmox an IP with first 3 octets of 192.168.100 - that will not work

In summary, fix your physical connection, then change the IP of the Proxmox server and you should be ok

Good luck

so having switched cables to have eno1 : < BROADCAST, MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP>

means it should be working,

Is there a way by accessing the terminal of the server that I can change the IP to be within the right octet?

As well as do you have any recommendations for videos on YouTube that discuss the basics. I have basically just tried to follow the guides that I have seen for networking stuff in regardes to the prebuilt NAS and the Home Assistant I have but I never ran into something explaining the actual basics seperate from just instructing a person to follow the steps to get the server to connect.

Is there a way by accessing the terminal of the server that I can change the IP to be within the right octet?

As well as do you have any recommendations for videos on YouTube that discuss the basics. I have basically just tried to follow the guides that I have seen for networking stuff in regardes to the prebuilt NAS and the Home Assistant I have but I never ran into something explaining the actual basics seperate from just instructing a person to follow the steps to get the server to connect.

I used the following google searches:

"how to change ip linux command line" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIgTmFu-puo
"network basics for beginners" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9ZigsW9il0

Good luck

a) output of "ip a"

Thanks so much I figured it out yesterday

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!