[SOLVED] Proxmox installation inside Synology Virtual Machine Manager

Brdru

Feb 3, 2022
Hello,
I tried to reinstall a Proxmox node inside a Synology Virtual Machine Manager on DS1621+ hardware.
Installation is fine, nested virtualization is detected, but at first reboot, I get a freeze on :

1643890032209.png

I tried different hardware for storage, virtio, ide, sata...

A year I remember doing the same thing without encountering any problem.

An idea ?

Found the problem, It's the vmvga driver from Synology Virtual Machine Manager and noVNC. It's ok with vga .
1643900726762.png
You can close this thread, thanks again.

Reactions: herzkerl
Thank you for posting the solution. I marked the thread as "solved". It might help other people in the future :)

Found the problem, It's the vmvga driver from Synology Virtual Machine Manager and noVNC. It's ok with vga .
View attachment 33877
You can close this thread, thanks again.

Sorry for posting in an old post, but I'm trying to run Proxmox in a VMM VM on a ds1823xs+...I can install Proxmox, nested virtualization works, LXCs works, but all VMs in Proxmox hangs after a few seconds, sometimes I can start the installation of an OS in a VM, but VM always freezes with 100% CPU long before the installation can finish.

I have tried to restore backups and start several VMs from another Proxmox...all freezes during boot with 100% CPU. Did your VMs work? The ds1621+ like the ds1823xs+ are using an AMD CPU.

Im on DSM 7.2.1-4

I would really appreciate your input.

is very slow for VM.
LXC works flawlessy because it use Proxmox Kernel virtualized once.
How slow?
My use-case is to live migrate a couple of VMs(one of them my primary fw) from my primary Proxmox node(running on a Intel nuc 12) the few times I have to reboot it, and I dont need top-notch performance.

for me :p : nested is only for test & dev , you need to do benchmark/measures to confirm impact.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!