Proxmox install - ZFS on NVME, RAID1 does it make sense ?

I am not an expert on this topic, but I think you guys are mixing a lot of stuff together.

PLP is greatly limited. It can only handle a few tens of ms of data transfer, which should be enough to stabilize what was already sent to the device.
PLP is so that in case of a system halt, the drive can safely flush data in-flight (or data that resides in the drive’s DRAM or SRAM cache buffers) to the persistent or non-volatile Flash memory and maintain the integrity of the SSD’s mapping table so that the SSD is recognized and useable again upon reboot of the system.

So there are two things affected here.

First one is the ability to write data after a power loss. Because of that ability, the drive can way faster signal to the system, that a sync write is finished (which is not (yet)). So this is not only a few tens of ms like you describe, this could be some sync writes that would take seconds but now take only ms instead. That is why a on paper "slower" Samsung PM953 will easily outperform a "fast" Samsung 960 Pro in that use case!
Even though the 960 Pro as tripple the sequential write speeds and more than twice the random write 4KB, QD1 performance.

The second thing is security. My understanding of ZFS is, that this does not apply to ZFS because of checksums but I could be very wrong on that one.
Get a UPS and protect everything that needs
UPS only protects you from a power loss, but there are many other reasons why your system could halt. We had a huge discussion in TrueNAS community about why TrueNAS recommends a UPS, when there is no actual technical reason for this. All the power loss problems apply to traditional FSs but not to ZFS.
Their reasoning was, since UPS are so cheap, better save than sorry.

Last edited:
@MrPete I mean doesn't help for performances.
And neither does PLP. To quote the OpenZFS page I linked above (emphasis mine):
SSD manufacturers now claim that firmware power loss protection is robust enough to provide equivalent protection to hardware power loss protection. Kingston is one example. Firmware power loss protection is used to guarantee the protection of flushed data and the drives’ own metadata, which is all that filesystems such as ZFS need.
...[PLP protects] unflushed data in addition to drive metadata and flushed data. This additional protection beyond protecting flushed data and the drive metadata provides no additional benefit to ZFS, but it does not hurt it.

PLP is so that in case of a system halt, the drive can safely flush data in-flight...
Please re-read the OpenZFS page I linked (and the Kingston further details if interested. Not all vendors are that forthcoming with their methods!) Your explanation dates to much older hardware. For almost a decade, firmware and hardware power protection have been equivalent, for quality drives***. Of course on-board RAM cache helps speed things along, but that's actually a separate topic.

UPS only protects you from a power loss, but there are many other reasons why your system could halt.
Of course :)
We had a huge discussion in TrueNAS community about why TrueNAS recommends a UPS, when there is no actual technical reason for this.
Interesting. I guess TrueNAS community considers loss of unwritten async data inconsquential. To each their own. :)

*** Of course ANY drive with any technology can have firmware bugs, HW failure etc. Thus, even though all drives supposedly are "safe" today, various testers have discovered that's not always true. Buyer Beware is always good advice. :)

Reactions: IsThisThingOn

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!