Proxmox fresh install - Wont boot after

KevinAls

Jun 2, 2023
Hello proxmox forum!
Im pretty sure this issue is not directly related to proxmox, but I hope someone has a idea.
Recently, I ordered a RH2288H huawei server as a homelab project. It seems to work just fine. The proxmox install on version 8 text works!

After reboot, it doesnt go to proxmox. It just goes to the screenshotted page.

I installed it on a NVME m2 drive that is in the server via a PCIE adapter. Proxmox (And any other OS) can find this SSD just fine, the server simply wont allow me to boot from it.

1689326761884.png

I assume that this is UEFI hardware, and the Boot manager does not show any option to boot your OS?

I'm wondering if this is similar to an issue I've had, where the boot entry would disappear after power-cycling the hardware. The root cause in my case was:
  1. On UEFI platforms, there 2 paths to booting:
    1. The firmware will look for bootx64.efi on the EFI partition (independently of boot manager entries), and boot that. This is sometimes called the fallback bootloader.
    2. The OS will create a boot entry in the firmware's boot manager (inspectable/writable with `efibootmgr` in Linux), which can point to an arbitrarily-named efi binary.
  2. I was installing on USB drive, which is "external", and may be missing on power-up.
  3. The UEFI firmware will readily delete UEFI boot manager entries that point to missing hardware, which can easily happen with a USB drive.
  4. Debian installer doesn't care/notice that you're installing to a removable drive, and will only rely on booting via option #2.
`grub-install` provides the `--removable` and `--force-extra-removable` switches so you can install it as a fallback bootloader as well. I think this requires you to set up the usual boot-repair environment: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Installing#via_the_LiveCD_terminal

Have you pressed 11 and checked your options in the boot manager? It might be that the drive is simply not enabled as boot option

Have you pressed 11 and checked your options in the boot manager? It might be that the drive is simply not enabled as boot option
Yep! Not there.

I assume that this is UEFI hardware, and the Boot manager does not show any option to boot your OS?

I'm wondering if this is similar to an issue I've had, where the boot entry would disappear after power-cycling the hardware. The root cause in my case was:
  1. On UEFI platforms, there 2 paths to booting:
    1. The firmware will look for bootx64.efi on the EFI partition (independently of boot manager entries), and boot that. This is sometimes called the fallback bootloader.
    2. The OS will create a boot entry in the firmware's boot manager (inspectable/writable with `efibootmgr` in Linux), which can point to an arbitrarily-named efi binary.
  2. I was installing on USB drive, which is "external", and may be missing on power-up.
  3. The UEFI firmware will readily delete UEFI boot manager entries that point to missing hardware, which can easily happen with a USB drive.
  4. Debian installer doesn't care/notice that you're installing to a removable drive, and will only rely on booting via option #2.
`grub-install` provides the `--removable` and `--force-extra-removable` switches so you can install it as a fallback bootloader as well. I think this requires you to set up the usual boot-repair environment: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Installing#via_the_LiveCD_terminal
I think the issue may lie that the server does not allow booting from PCIE. I think a workaround is to install proxmox on the pcie, and move the /boot to a USB inside of the server. Not quite sure how to deal with it yet :)

It would be more interesting to see what you get pressing Del and F11

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!