2 node Proxmox cluster + Backup server Corosync network?

Icefire

Mar 20, 2022
So now we have 3x R730XD server, all with 2x25GB SFP+ and 2x10GBe.

I'm building a new High Availability network for the new office, so I want to cluster the proxmox servers have HA also on application/servers with automatic backup

What would be the best way to wire them and how to cluster them?

I read you normally do a 2 node cluster and add a PBS with a voting for quorum ?

Do I use a 10GBe Switch and aggregate in 2x10GB with only the 3 servers on it for Corosync? Would use the 2x25GB plugged on 2 Aggreate switch for HA and spare quorum link.
Does the "quorum switch" need to be standalone with nothing on it or I can just isolate the 3 server with a VLAN ? I would use a 10GB SPF+ agregation switch with SPF+ to 10GBe adapter and have the 3 server only.

Thanks

Last edited:
No-Single-Point-Of-Failure.png

Nobody have 2 nodes + PBS as 3rd device?

Considering I have 2 identical 24 drives server + 1 server with 40 drive, I was thinking it was better to do this than a 3 node with one running PBS on a VM.

I got a 10GB switch coming and will do 2x10GB/node as quorum and 1x25GB as normal use on the 2 node cluster. a second 25GB link with be "standby" as in case the first switch die. Can't run stacked switch so will try 2 switch with rSTP

what about storage plan ?
Server 1 have 16+24 disk which give me 2 zfs pool of 14Tb (28 TB total)
Server 2 have 24 disk with a zfs pool of 28TB 2 linux and 4 windows VM
Server 3 have 24 disk with a zfs pool of 28TB nothing on it right now.

currently total data from Server 1 and 2 have maybe only 3-4TB total. which is spread and would be easy for the Server 1 to backup.

Last edited:
imo, HA require Shared Storage.
Official docs says :
"High-Availability is allowed in combination with storage replication, but there may be some data loss between the last synced time and the time a node failed."

if it's ok for your use case, PBS as third qorum device is ok.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!