Proxmox bridge and VLAN

Directly0065

Feb 11, 2024
Hello

I had a crash on a Proxmox server, I had the VM backups so not too much problem on that side. However, I encounter a problem with the network configuration.

My configuration is as follows:
  • 1 enp2s0 network card ==> router
  • 1 enp3s0 network card ==> level 2 switch with VLANVLAN2 = IOTVLAN3=LANVLAN4=WORKVLAN10=Future CLusterVLAN100=LAN ROUTER

On Switch2 the port is configured as PVID => VLAN100 and TAG for the other VLANsThe internal proxmox VMs work well together but nothing comes out on the Switch.I can't tell anymore if it's my configuration that's not good or if I forgot a setting in the Proxmox. Need help :)

Thx

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto enp2s0
iface enp2s0 inet manual
#INTERNET

auto enp3s0
iface enp3s0 inet manual
#INTERFACE LAN

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 192.168.1.252/24
gateway 192.168.1.254
bridge-ports enp2s0
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet static
bridge-ports enp3s0
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0
bridge-vlan-aware yes
bridge-vids 1,2,3,4,10,100

auto VLAN_CLUSTER
iface VLAN_CLUSTER inet manual
vlan-id 10
vlan-raw-device enp3s0
#VLAN CLUSTER

auto VLAN_LAN
iface VLAN_LAN inet manual
vlan-id 4
vlan-raw-device enp3s0
#VLAN_LAN

auto VLAN_IOT
iface VLAN_IOT inet manual
vlan-id 2
vlan-raw-device enp3s0
#VLAN_IOT

auto VLAN_WORK
iface VLAN_WORK inet manual
vlan-id 3
vlan-raw-device enp3s0

most likely thing to check is if your interface names have changed. try 'ip link' and verify your interfaces enp2s0 and enp3s0

Hi,
In fact everything works at the network level, only the DHCP frames which come from my VM are blocked on the PCs on the LAN. I fixed the mac address in vmbr1 by adding the line hwaddress 00.01.02.03.04 but still ko

If only dhcp is an issue (ie: static IPs go fine), sounds like the problem I had. Add the following:
bridge-ageing 0
as a setting under the iface vmbr.... sections

Does not work with Bridge-aging 0. Even after reboot
For example I have an access point which distributes the correct VLAN according to the chosen SSID. Ex :
  • SSID1 = VLAN1
  • SSID2 = VLAN2
  • SSID3 = VLAN3
  • SSID4 = VLAN4
When I connect with my phone to an SSID, I see on my level 2 switch the random mac address shown

eth5 00-01-02-03-06-12 2 Dynamic
eth5 00-01-02-03-06-23 4 Dynamic
eth5 00-01-02-03-06-07 3 Dynamic

when I do an arp -a on my proxmox, I only see the IP of my router on vmbr0 but nothing on my vmbr1 where I have all my LAN

I think the problem is with my configuration of my vmbr1 but i see nothing

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
bridge-ports enp3s0
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0
bridge-vlan-aware yes
bridge-vids 1,2,3,4,10,100
hwaddress 00:01:2e:81:af:de
bridge-ageing 0

Last edited:
hi, if you only want your VMs in the VLANs, then it's enough to make vmbr1 vlan aware and set the vlan-tag for the vm-network-iface (bounded to vmbr1) or directly in the VM - you don't need this VLAN-ifaces on enp3s0

hi, if you only want your VMs in the VLANs, then it's enough to make vmbr1 vlan aware and set the vlan-tag for the vm-network-iface (bounded to vmbr1) or directly in the VM - you don't need this VLAN-ifaces on enp3s0
I want my VMs to communicate with the LAN outside Proxmox. My VMs distribute DHCP via my access point or wired LAN, manage my home automation, etc...
Currently the flows are not coming out of proximox

On proxmox network
2024-02-12 08_15_10-Host1Zotac - Proxmox Virtual Environment et 3 pages de plus - Personnel – ...png

on VLAN

2024-02-12 08_05_02-Host1Zotac - Proxmox Virtual Environment et 3 pages de plus - Personnel – ...png

on VM

2024-02-12 08_05_37-Host1Zotac - Proxmox Virtual Environment et 3 pages de plus - Personnel – ...png

Attachments

• 2024-02-12 08_03_52-Host1Zotac - Proxmox Virtual Environment et 3 pages de plus - Personnel – ...png
    2024-02-12 08_03_52-Host1Zotac - Proxmox Virtual Environment et 3 pages de plus - Personnel – ...png
    14.1 KB · Views: 3
yeah, thats why vmbr1 is vlan aware - it behaves somehow like a switch (because it is a bridge) - pve does not need the vlans on interface, VMs can use it without.

Hi Ce3rd

Sorry I don't really understand how to configure it. It worked very well before my crash. I remove all VLAN interfaces on the PVE network and put VLANs only on VM interfaces ?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!