Proxmox and ceph network ports?

Dirky_uk

Mar 16, 2024
If I want to run Ceph on a small homelab, Proxmox cluster and all the nodes have 1 x 1GB and 1 x 2.5GB nic in them, is it possible to assign the 2.5GB nics just for Ceph, assuming of course I have a 2.5GB switch for them? Does that even make sense? (the rest of my network is only 1GB currently)

You define that by which IP subnets are defined on which interface and which subnet you use for Ceph and other services.
Keep in mind that you need at least 3 full nodes to do anything useful with Ceph.
In smaller setups, and with enough NICs, you could also setup a full-mesh network for Ceph. https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Full_Mesh_Network_for_Ceph_Server

Reactions: Dirky_uk
You define that by which IP subnets are defined on which interface and which subnet you use for Ceph and other services.
Keep in mind that you need at least 3 full nodes to do anything useful with Ceph.
In smaller setups, and with enough NICs, you could also setup a full-mesh network for Ceph. https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Full_Mesh_Network_for_Ceph_Server
Thanks. I guess using a mesh for 3 nodes would require 3 nics in each node. 2 for ceph and one for the lan.

My thought was using the 2.5Gb nics to connect to a small switch giving the ceph its own lan. Then use my regular lan addressing for the 1Gb ports in each node.
Sounds like it's possible and just use a different subnet for the ceph.

Thanks!

Reactions: aaron

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!