Proxmox 8 Support question for NVME

pgro

Oct 20, 2022
Hi Everyone,

We have a cluster of Proxmox with License support and we would like to know if NVME-over-Fabric by using nvme-cli is supported within Proxmox. Yes it's working flawless and until now without any issue and this is running under a NetApp AFF C250 under all in flash nvme with support from NetApp. But, my question is if any issue arrise like between proxmox and netapp, then is this supported from Proxmox Support team or not? I assume this because Nvme Initilization and setup is not available under GUI, or even described under storage options https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage , I don't see the NVMEoF / nvme/of/tcp

Reactions: mjw
Hopefully, one of the staff members will reply here. If not, you should send your request to office@proxmox.com. Or, if you already have a subscription - utilize Customer Portal.

There is always a gray area in such situations. Ideally, you would get support from Netapp. From their perspective, they have a Debian/Ubuntu client using industry-standard tools to connect. It should be part of standard customer assistance.

Another option is to work with a knowledgeable PVE partner who can assist with both technologies.

Good luck

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Reactions: weehooey
I cant answer for the proxmox support team, but I wouldnt expect this to be in their purview. NVMEOF isnt a within pve's stated support matrix- and certainly not a specific commercial vendor's product implementation.
Another option is to work with a knowledgeable PVE partner who can assist with both technologies.
you've been in this industry for a while havent you ;)

I cant answer for the proxmox support team, but I wouldnt expect this to be in their purview. NVMEOF isnt a within pve's stated support matrix- and certainly not a specific commercial vendor's product implementation.

you've been in this industry for a while havent you ;)
Hi my friend. Yes as usual, proxmox is bonded with OpenSource and open source means knowledge. At the same time since this a new *game* I would mostly feel more safe if something goes wrong. Yet Proxmox NVMEOF isnt embeded to their gui but since anything can be attached to LVM or LVM-Thin , doesnt that mean that if something is not working then a support must be attended ?

doesnt that mean that if something is not working then a support must be attended ?
Hi @pgro, you mentioned that you are currently using nvmecli and it's working well for you. So, your question appears to be purely theoretical with no defined parameters.

There are two primary components involved: your vendor's NVMe/TCP implementation and the Linux Kernel.

If there is a bug in the Kernel, I am confident that PVE will release a patched version in due course. The speed of the patch release will depend on various variables, such as problem reproduction, problem understanding, immediate patch availability from upstream, the need to develop the fix, QA time, etc.

You will likely need to address anything outside of the Kernel with your storage vendor.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!