[SOLVED] Proxmox 8.2 passthough crashing whole node

JeanS

Mar 29, 2023
Hi,
I have three node Cluster and I updated couple days ago all nodes to latest 8.2.
I was able to restart one node only today. After restart I got networking issues (NIC id was changed). I was able to fix this.
But after new restart node crashed immediately after login screen (this happened always after restart).
After crash network was lost and also keyboard did not work -> restart was only option.

Proxmox_crash_cluster.jpg

I thought that my boot disk broke (2.5 SSD). I was not able to fix issue, so I made fresh install to new SSD.
But after re-joining to cluster, same happened again.

So it cannot be actual SSD failure, but somekind corruption of Cluster or such.
Any ideas how to fix issue?

EDIT:
Actually, it does not look Cluster issue.
I restored one VM from Backup Server, and when started VM this node crashed immediately.
So crash is related to start of VM.

Br Jan

Last edited:
I was able to fix this issue. After all it was PCIe passthrough issue.
One VM had HBA SAS pcie card passthrough and for some reason Proxmox update broke this.
However, it is quite strange that PCIe passthrough kills whole node (Proxmox host).

Fix was that I removed PCIe passthrough and than added again.
Now everything works ok, and no data loss.

Edit: My theory what went wrong. As NIC names were changes during reboot (I did not do any changes to HW / Bios etc) also Hex strings for HW may have been changed -> This VM was tried to passthrough something else than supposed and that caused crash.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!