Proxmox 8.0.4 vGPU wont work for video editing

twatson1022

Jul 6, 2022
I just did a clean install of Proxmox 8 because it would not update from 7 for some reason. I followed the guide from Polloloco located here https://gitlab.com/polloloco/vgpu-proxmox to get my vGPU working again for gaming for my kids. I decided to try and use the last 6 gig vGPU for a video editing machine with Handbreak and video upscale on Topaz and neither one will work using the GPU. I have the gpu set as a p6000 but i always get an error saying it has no video memory.

I have been using the nvida 50 which is a Q profile do i need to use an A profile for it to work properly.
nvidia-50
Available instances: 4
Device API: vfio-pci
Name: GRID P40-6Q
Description: num_heads=4, frl_config=60, framebuffer=6144M, max_resolution=7680x4320, max_instance=4

in "nano /etc/vgpu_unlock/profile_override.toml" i have this listed

---6GB VIDEO CARD---
[profile.nvidia-50]
num_displays = 1
display_width = 1920
display_height = 1080
max_pixels = 2073600
cuda_enabled = 1
frl_enabled = 60
pci_id = 0x1B3011A0
pci_device_id = 0x1B30

should i be using
nvidia-58
Available instances: 4
Device API: vfio-pci
Name: GRID P40-6A
Description: num_heads=1, frl_config=60, framebuffer=6144M, max_resolution=1280x1024, max_instance=4

---6GB VIDEO CARD---
[profile.nvidia-58]
num_displays = 1
display_width = 1920
display_height = 1080
max_pixels = 2073600
cuda_enabled = 1
frl_enabled = 60
pci_id = 0x1B3011A0
pci_device_id = 0x1B30

I can't answer to PVE 8 issues. I wont upgrade until drivers catch up for my network hardware. Wish we had an LTS edition..
Anyway, what driver are you using in the VM?

I think the frl_enabled config should be on (1) or off (0).

It looks like you're spoofing the PCI ID and NVIDIA may be making changes to their drivers (as they have before) to prevent passthrough in this way. I presume you are trying to use consumer drivers in the VM?

I ended up setting up my own licensing server and now use the vGPU driver as it was intended. Have you tested that driver?

Last edited:
currently I'm using driver 536.96-quadro-rtx-desktop-notebook-win10-win11-64bit-international-dch-whql in the VM works great for gaming but still no help for video editing. I have not tried that yet. Haven't found a post i can really follow to get that up and running, only post i had found was a lot of i got it working on this and that, not really a guide.
I can't answer to PVE 8 issues. I wont upgrade until drivers catch up for my network hardware. Wish we had an LTS edition..
Anyway, what driver are you using in the VM?

I think the frl_enabled config should be on (1) or off (0).

It looks like you're spoofing the PCI ID and NVIDIA may be making changes to their drivers (as they have before) to prevent passthrough in this way. I presume you are trying to use consumer drivers in the VM?

I ended up setting up my own licensing server and now use the vGPU driver as it was intended. Have you tested that driver?

Try the driver included in the vgpu KVM driver bundle that you downloaded for the host. It will give you 20 minutes before the driver disables features and starts acting like trash. But 20 minutes should be long enough to verify your needs. If that works then I can help you get licensing setup as needed.

I want to add that you should remove the PCI spoofing, in addition to changing frl_enabled to disabled (frl_enabled = 0), when you try the vGPU GRID driver in your profile override conf.

If you went the route you went, like I initially did, due to licensing costs, I would note that my licensing is handeled by an open source implementation of the authenticating server and works well.

vgpu is good to try and spend few day configuring it, but it is not mean to be used and video intensive might not help. For sure, if you do any update to the prox, vgpu will break directly. disconnect modem, install prox iso, install vgpu, reset every day at minimum. Then pass a gpu to vm to do real work and not loose project or data.

You must not be installing vgpu properly. I have no problems through updates to proxmox and my VMs game and encode/decode 24/7.

Try the driver included in the vgpu KVM driver bundle that you downloaded for the host. It will give you 20 minutes before the driver disables features and starts acting like trash. But 20 minutes should be long enough to verify your needs. If that works then I can help you get licensing setup as needed.
Sorry its taken so long to get back to you. Been crazy busy with the kids. Thanks for the info i will try that. and report back.

You must not be installing vgpu properly. I have no problems through updates to proxmox and my VMs game and encode/decode 24/7.
Hi Republicus, could you pls share with us the steps that you follow or what configurations you did to have the server working? I already have a server working (in fact I'm waiting for a Windows VM update to try to add the vGPU for my GTX 1080 8gb), so I'm not so sure that it will work...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!