Production server

danaja

Jul 18, 2021
We ha e tester proxmox for a while, and thinking of switch into virtualized world from tradizional one. We are a small office (15 user) and the server sgola host some vm (3CX for voip, Nextcloud for file sharing, Windows server for domain, pfsense for vpn) the host running pve will be and ryzen 5950x with 128gb ecc ram running in nvme 480gb. For storage i can buy hdd or ssd but stil in doubt about filessytem. For us is better lvm-thin or zfs?

Depends...if you only care about performance and less wear, use LVM-Thin on SSDs in a cached hardware raid. If you care about data integrity use ZFS with some enterprise SSDs.

I may be doing this all wrong, but I would go with ZFS, disable disable corosync, pve-ha-crm, and pve-ha-lrm, and then keep an eye on the health of your drives. I am using a ZFS mirror pool for two NVMe drives for my VM storage and a separate ZFS mirror pool for two SATA SSD drives for my OS. All consumer grade stuff. So far my drive wear out is zero. Just make sure you have good backups.

I may be doing this all wrong, but I would go with ZFS, disable disable corosync, pve-ha-crm, and pve-ha-lrm, and then keep an eye on the health of your drives. I am using a ZFS mirror pool for two NVMe drives for my VM storage and a separate ZFS mirror pool for two SATA SSD drives for my OS. All consumer grade stuff. So far my drive wear out is zero. Just make sure you have good backups.
Why disable service? They work on the disk system and can reduce ssd life?

ZFS shouldn't be used with consumer SSD because if the heavy overhead which will wear your SSDs a lot faster. And yes, disabling these services is a try to lower writes so the SSDs will survive a bit longer.
But you are running a company...shouldn't be a problem to get some enterprise SSDs. You get two new 480Gb enterprise SSD combined for under 100 US$ (Samsung PM883/PM893 for example). A failed disk with 15 People not able to work for a day or two should cost you way more...

No problem for ssd, maybe i’m a lot confused. With small ssd i can rum pf coisse vm disk but data? Maybe store them on nas??

No problem for ssd, maybe i’m a lot confused. With small ssd i can rum pf coisse vm disk but data? Maybe store them on nas??
I think this is a good idea. I do not store any data on my Proxmox server. I use NFS shares for mounted on the VMs for data storage and I point my docker volumes to the NAS as well. I have my NAS backing up to a second NAS for a second local copy, and I also backup my primary NAS to the cloud as well, for an offsite copy

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!