[SOLVED] Problem with PCI passthrough, GPU not showing in Windows Task Manager

Exio

Mar 30, 2022
Hi guys

I followed this guide https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/PCI_Passthrough to Passthrough my Nvidia Tesla K20XM to a VM. I think the passthrough is working but its like "more or less". My Windows 10 Pro detects the Graphic Card but it doesnt process anything with it, check this:

1716367539194.png

The PCI Device is the Graphic Card, ok..

1716367683788.png

The task admin doesnt recognise the graphic card so i can understand what i have said before, the VM is not working with the graphic card but then in the devices admin:

1716367854441.png

It is here...

So my doubt is, is this a Windows problem or a passthrough problem? I have tried to check this option but the VM wont go up:

1716367998506.png

Giving me this error:

1716368042993.png

I need that VM to recognise the graphic card as, for example, my PC does:

1716368180267.png

Any help, please? Thanks in advance

Last edited:
2 things that I'd try:

1. Disable numa for the VM.

2. In Windows Device Manager you are showing 2 PCI controllers that are (probably) without drivers. Try installing drivers for them. You may need/also VirtIO drivers. See here.

I have made another new VM with this configuration, in the host, all is the same as i commented before:
1716456615395.png

2 things that I'd try:

1. Disable numa for the VM.

2. In Windows Device Manager you are showing 2 PCI controllers that are (probably) without drivers. Try installing drivers for them. You may need/also VirtIO drivers. See here.
Ok, i have disabled numa and installed VirtIO drivers, Windows Device Manager now shows this:

1716454572524.png

I have rebooted the VM but the task manager still without showing up the graphic card:
1716454636632.png

Attachments

• 1716456578410.png
    1716456578410.png
    43.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
AFAIK the Nvidia Tesla K20XM does not have any Display/Output Connectors, are you sure it is still supposed to show up in Windows Task Manager?
(The image you show above appearing in Task Manager is of Nvidia GTX1050 which does have Display/Output Connectors).

Edit: See this discussion.

AFAIK the Nvidia Tesla K20XM does not have any Display/Output Connectors, are you sure it is still supposed to show up in Windows Task Manager?
(The image you show above appearing in Task Manager is of Nvidia GTX1050 which does have Display/Output Connectors).

Edit: See this discussion.
I really dont know if not having display connector means that it wont appear in the Windows Task Manager, but i think it should appear because this question “how do i know if the host is processing anything with that graphic card?” There is no way to know if im not seeing any activity.

Have watched that discussion and the truth is that i have wddm 1.3 and not 2.0 or higher that is supossed to work with task manager as i have read in many forums. Will ask my provider and comment the result

I really dont know if not having display connector means that it wont appear in the Windows Task Manager, but i think it should appear because this question “how do i know if the host is processing anything with that graphic card?” There is no way to know if im not seeing any activity.

Have watched that discussion and the truth is that i have wddm 1.3 and not 2.0 or higher that is supossed to work with task manager as i have read in many forums. Will ask my provider and comment the result
The WDDM driver is for the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, not for the Nvidia Tesla K20Xm...

Im whatching this...

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/gaming-on-my-tesla-more-likely-than-you-think/171185/364?page=18

lets see if i can do this...

Last edited:
The WDDM driver is for the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, not for the Nvidia Tesla K20Xm...

Im whatching this...

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/gaming-on-my-tesla-more-likely-than-you-think/171185/364?page=18

lets see if i can do this, no one but you seems to want to help here...

Solved:

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/...e-control-de-nvidia-en-el-servidor-de-windows

Just need to run 2 commands on PS and it worked. Those commands are:

Code:
nvidia-smi -fdm 0
Code:
nvidia-smi --gom=0

And reboot the VM

EDIT: To add some more info, this graphics card came as "Processing only unit", TCC (in a manner of speaking), so you have to change this to WDDM to see it in the Windows Task Manager. What i have encountered is that in TCC mode, the graphics card didnt work, dont know why, but in WDDM mode it works perfectly. In fact, this commands allows you to change the TCC mode to WDDM mode. Just remember to install Nvidia drivers to use
Code:
nvidia-smi

Last edited:
Reactions: gfngfn256
Happy you solved it. So in fact its a Windows-centric problem, not a Proxmox one. (In fact I believe, based on your attached Dell-PowerEdge post, that even if you installed bare-metal, you'd encounter the same experience). But its still useful on this awesome forum, so if someone else encounters a similar experience, you've helped him/her. Thanks.

Reactions: Exio
Happy you solved it. So in fact its a Windows-centric problem, not a Proxmox one. (In fact I believe, based on your attached Dell-PowerEdge post, that even if you installed bare-metal, you'd encounter the same experience). But its still useful on this awesome forum, so if someone else encounters a similar experience, you've helped him/her. Thanks.
It took me some time to find that Dell post, so yes, i hope i help some people in the future. Thanks to you mate!

Reactions: Bent

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!