Port mirroring and Promox

N3ST

Aug 26, 2014
Hello Everyone.

I am trying to setup a port mirroring with proxmox.

My Proxmox server has two network card, and I would like to use the second network card has a miroring port, the server is connected a managed switch which can do port mirroring.

I would like to use the switch mirroring port capability to setup a VM with OSSIM which will analyse the traffic with the second network card connected to it?

Is it possible because when I try to create a new switch with eth1 I can't because the gateway already exist.

How can I send all the traffic from the second ethernet card to the OSSIM VM?

Thank you in advance,

Best regards,

N3ST

Hello N3ST

I am trying to setup a port mirroring with proxmox.

My Proxmox server has two network card, and I would like to use the second network card has a miroring port, the server is connected a managed switch which can do port mirroring.

I would like to use the switch mirroring port capability to setup a VM with OSSIM which will analyse the traffic with the second network card connected to it?

Is it possible because when I try to create a new switch with eth1 I can't because the gateway already exist.

How can I send all the traffic from the second ethernet card to the OSSIM VM?

If I understood it correctly you want to have the following:

mirror-port-from-switch -----> Proxmox-Host-eth1 -----> OSSIM-VM-in_Proxmox-ethxy

Create a new bridge vmbr1 connected with eth1. Assign a virtual NIC from the VM to it - you will see all the traffic from mirror port there.

Use an openvswitch bridge - it has special parameters for mirroring, see also http://git.openvswitch.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=openvswitch;a=blob_plain;f=FAQ;hb=HEAD

Kind regards

Mr.Holmes

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!