Please help me with my first homeserver build

iTzDaveyX3

Mar 18, 2024
Hi all,

My name is Davey and I am about to dive into my first install of Proxmox.
I was looking for someone who could give me some advice about how to set it all up, or just to give me some tips based on there own experience.
I do have some skills in IT but I'm not a god and google is my friend in these situations so I do have a base form of knowledge but feel free to educate me.

I will state the specs of the build.

• Fractal Node 804
  • Machinist X99K9 v2.1 (MOBO)
  • Intel Xeon E5 2680 V4 (CPU)
  • 32 GB DDR 4 Ram (8gb per stick)
  • Coolermaster 240 MasterLiquid (aio)
  • Nvidia RTX 2070 Super (GPU)
  • 600 Watt PSU Modular (Gold rated)
  • NVME-SATA controller 6 ports
  • Sata SSD Crucial 1TB (for proxmox and vm's)
  • 2x 2TB Ironwolf HDD
  • 2x 3TB Seagate HDD
The idea is that the Homeserver is gonna be used for filesharing with family like photos and videos (Important feature is user management in photo app).
So my idea was to use Xpenology as a VM and using passtrough for 2 physical sata disks. My family is used to Synology Photo's so thats why I wanna go with that.

Besides that I like to use some docker containers and I want to install Ubuntu for educational purposes and learning how to configure deployment and managing containers whilst learning some linux.

The other 2 3TB Seagate HDD's would be used for a Plex Library

I also host a Palworld server which I would like to migrate back to a windows server vm or get it working on a linux machine.

Is there anyone who can give my some basic knowledge about how to set this all up? (Like do I need to install drivers in proxmox to get my nvme sata 6 port controller working?)

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!