Persistent device names for USB drives containing hypervisor?

technodruid

Aug 30, 2023
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Good day everyone, long time listener first time caller....

I am a CS student and recently picked up a great deal for a home lab: I have an intel H2000WP 4 node server with 512GB ram and 8x xeon e4-2600v2 series cpus. I decided to use proxmox as my hypervisor, and installed all instances to identical usb thumb drives.

They are all installed on the same respective usb port for their node, however node by node their block device name is not persistent and I would like them to be for when I start populating the SAS drives for ease of management.

Basically, I would like to make the naming persistent, if UUID X is the usb drive that contains the installed hypervisor, I would prefer it to be always loaded as block device at /dev/sda.

Any suggestions?

I expect that your USB flash drives will break down in a short time because of the many (small) writes of Proxmox. Since it's not a supported setup, you'll have to write your own udev rules to make persistent names/paths for your drives.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!