Pci passthrough for better Video performence

vikozo

Renowned Member
May 4, 2014
suisse
www.wombat.ch
Hello
on my PVE Server i have a VM with Jellyfin to watch Movies.
It works but the output is poor and not as good as hoped.
In a Forum i got a Information to add the Pci passthrough

but on the VM i got a
i select the device
ASPEED Technologie Graphics Family

and got the Error/Information
No IOMMU detected, please activate it.See Documentation for further information.

on the PVE Server
# inxi -G
Graphics: Device-1: ASPEED Graphics Family driver: ast v: kernel
Display: tty server: N/A driver: ast tty: 156x34
Message: Advanced graphics data unavailable in console for root.

have this Board
SUPERMICR R
X11SCM-LN8F/-F and X11SCL-LN4F

and this CPU
12 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) E-2246G CPU @ 3.60GHz (1 Socket)

Any Idea to get a better Video Output on the Jellyfin?

Have a nice day
vinc

Forget about the ASPEED! This is the BMC graphics, which only has very rudimentary graphics functions. No video-codec and/or 3D-acceleration. So, scratch that thought!
However, you might be lucky: Your CPU does actually have an integrated GPU.
See here: https://www.intel.de/content/www/de...cessor-12m-cache-3-60-ghz/specifications.html

Your two listed boards have no physical outputs, that the Intel iGPU could use, or respectively is connected to.
So, direct output over the iGPU is also a No-Go.
However, you could maybe talk to Supermicro, about enabling the iGPU in your BIOS anyway, in parallel to the Aspeed. So that it becomes available for decoding tasks in VMs and/or Containers, without direct output to a screen. Then you could set up a streaming server (plex or the likes) and finally connect to it's output for accelerated video output.

A lot of work for a pretty simple seeming task. You asked for it, though. :)

Reactions: Dunuin

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!