PBS Datastore Seperation

andersbp

May 1, 2023
Hey everyone.

I am in the process of splitting my Backup storage into two seperate storages on two seperate PBS instances . Sync is running smoothly atm and everything seems fine.

Question 1:
Whenever the sync is done and the 2 given namespaces are 'identical' can i then simply change the backup job to point the new PBS/namespace and continue where i left off?

Question 2:
My PBS instances are running inside LXC containers and datastores are simply 2 seperate zpools mounted into the containers. Therefore i am curious if i at a later point in time can simply mount and import my 'old' datastore onto my new PBS instance and expect it to work? (like creating a datastore that points into that given path)

Best Regards

Last edited:
Hey,

1. yes
2. Also yes, but you'd have to manually edit /etc/proxmox-backup/datastore.cfg and update the path of the datastore.

Hey,

1. yes
2. Also yes, but you'd have to manually edit /etc/proxmox-backup/datastore.cfg and update the path of the datastore.
1. Cool, thanks!

So first create a datastore and then change its path in datastore.cfg? Or could i just manually add the datastore entry in the datastore.cfg in the first place?

Many thanks for the quick response

Yes, just adding an entry should work. But make sure the entry is correct, maybe copying an existing one and editing that is a good idea.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!