Partitioning issues on VM disk on Samba share

all64bits

Aug 4, 2023
Hello

I’m very new to Proxmox. I have successfully installed Arch Linux on a VM on my Proxmox server when the VM disk is on a local partition in the Proxmox server.

I’m wanting to use a Samba share on my network for most of the disk related tasks in Proxmox. I have added that Samba share to Proxmox, and have been able to successfully upload a couple of ISO’s to the share, and then boot VM’s from these ISO’s.

However when I create a VM with a disk on the samba share I seem to have issues installing anything to it in the VM. Whenever I try any sort of partitioning, I get errors relating to inability to write to/access the partition table.

When I try to use Gparted Live to create a filesystem on the disk, it first says I need to create a partition table. When I do that it says that there is an input/output error during write to the disk.

To reiterate, I have no such issues with VM disks on the hard drive in the Proxmox server - it’s just with the samba share.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!