Option bdev_enable_discard & bdev_async_discard in Ceph

rozaq

Nov 14, 2023
Hi guys,
I'm still confused about the bdev_enable_discard & bdev_enable_discard options in Ceph, if this option is activated will it trim (clean unused blocks) automatically?

I have activated it, but I don't notice any changes. and it looks like it's still the same as usual, you have to use fstrim and check the discard option.

ceph config set global bdev_enable_discard true
ceph config set global bdev_async_discard true

Maybe others can share their experiences after activating the bdev_enable_discard and bdev_async_discard options in Ceph.

Thank You

Whats the reason your looking for these options? I havent found any good documentation on it and afaik ceph automatically trims storage, if it gets the discard/trimming commands from the rbd above (like a Windows or Linux-VM that has Discardand SSD-Emulation enabled in VM-Hardware).

Or am I missreading this and you want something else?

Hmm: found this: https://lists.ceph.io/hyperkitty/list/ceph-users@ceph.io/thread/YFQKVCAMHHQ72AMTL2MQAA7QN7YCJ7GA/
These debates are more about if it really makes sense with modern SSDs as the performance gain seems limited.With older (SATA) SSDs it might, but with the modern NVMe DC-grade ones people are doubting if it is still needed.

Can you explain what this option should help you with?

Edit: I did ask on the mailing list if someones has a update on this. Initial question was from Dan Van der Ster.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!