Openmediavault + ZFS

marcel1988

Mar 21, 2023
I have OpenMediaVault running inside Proxmox, and did 4 HDD disks with passtrough to OMV.
The disks are: 4x WD6003FFBX-68MU3N0 (WD Red Pro (2020) (256MB cache), 6TB)
Specs: 4 cores (HOST) / 8GB / All the HDD's are in passtrough with QM set.

Once I installed everything and installed the ZFS plugin, I created a ZFS storage in OpenMediaVault and it was immediately working and up and running. I'm totally happy 8)
Unfortunately, that happiness did not last long, because uploading to the server suddenly went from 113 MB / s to 60 MB / s (More than half)

So I suspected I did something wrong in my settings so I deleted everything, recreated Openmediavault in Proxmox and mapped the disks using Passtrough. but I still ran into the same problems. Had already asked on the OpenMediaVault forum what this could be but they indicated that it was in Proxmox (Of course I would also say) :9

So I started testing with other NAS systems, I installed Truenas on my proxmox, just like I did with OpenMediaVault I mapped the drives via passthrough. And inside truenas chose ZFS just like I did with OpenMediaVault. And hopa, full speed upload to the truenas installation with a constant speed of 113 mb/s.

So I went back to OpenMediavault, because I thought there would be something wrong with my SATA controller and maybe not compatible. But I decided to create a RAID-STRIPE in OpenMediaVault to see if that works (Does not need sync) And yes, constant speed of 113 mb/s upload without any problems.

Still, the OpenMediaVault forum continues to insist that the problem is in Proxmox.
I don't care where the problem is, as long as I get it solved :D

I dont know much about OpenMediaVault but you could look for more information with journalctl -f

Which kernel are you using inside of OMV? It seems like most of the people running ZFS in OMV use the Proxmox kernel. I run OMV on Proxmox, with pass through drives as well, but I used BTRFS in a raid 1 and it works flawlessly.

Which kernel are you using inside of OMV? It seems like most of the people running ZFS in OMV use the Proxmox kernel. I run OMV on Proxmox, with pass through drives as well, but I used BTRFS in a raid 1 and it works flawlessly.
This is the kernel: Linux 6.2.16-3-pve #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC PVE 6.2.16-3 (2023-06-17T05:58Z)

I dont want to use RAID 1, i want to use ZFS.

What do you mean by zfs in OMV using the proxmox kernel?

Maybe there are some optimizations for SMB you can look at?
Did you create zfs pool,and what did you choose, raid10 or raid5?

Maybe there are some optimizations for SMB you can look at?
Did you create zfs pool,and what did you choose, raid10 or raid5?
ZFS1 so RAID-5. i did a normal raid 5 but the sync will take more then 48 hour. And with ZFS there is no sync needed and when a drive fails the rebuild is also quicker. :)

That is the reason i want to go with ZFS.

Yeah, there is no sync with raidz1, and these are cmr drives so they are okay with zfs. 8GB is enough for OMV, even 2gb can saturate 1gbps.
Can you check logs on OMV, syslog and maybe smb log?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!