OpenBSD 4.8 very slow

A

asterix

Hello,

I successfully installed OpenBSD 4.8 guest on my PVE 1.8 but it runs abnormally SLOW... The VM CPU is always >100%.
Does anyone know why?

I've googled and I was able to find someone with the same experience KVM+OpenBSD 4.8, but there's no solution for the problem.

Thanks.

Thank you so much, my OpenBSD is now super fast!!

Steps:
1. Test if disabling mpbios works, during boot enter:
Code:
boot> bsd -c
UKC> disable mpbios
 54 mpbios0 disabled
UKC> quit

2. If this solves the speed problem disable mpbios permanently. Log as root and enter:
Code:
# config -ef /bsd
OpenBSD 4.8 (GENERIC) #136: Mon Aug 16 09:06:23 MDT 2010
    [email]deraadt@i386.openbsd.org[/email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC
Enter 'help' for information
ukc> disable mpbios
352 mpbios0 disabled
ukc> quit
Saving modified kernel.
#

Thanks!

Hi,

are there any other tricks to speed up OpenBSD Guests?
I have two identical servers as KVM-Hosts, one is running proxmox 1.8 the other is running ConVirt.

On the ConVirt-Server OpenBSD runs out of the box without any speed problems, but on the proxmox-Server the OpenBSD guests are really slow.
Unless I use the kernel parameter provided in the link above. But setting this parameter on every boot for each Guest manually is no real option.

So I'm a little confused if ConVirt provides KVM with different options to speed up OpenBSD Guests.

Hello,

setting this parameter on every boot for each Guest manually is no real option.

After doing the step 2 the change is permanent (at least for my setup), so you only do this once per each OpenBSD guest.

Yeah, but thats stil not an option. But I found out that kvm 0.12 works fine, so I just downgraded with the kvm modules in the proxmox repo and openbsd-guests are running again.

did you test KVM 0.15 (see our pvetest repo)?

No, not yet. But I have a testing machine on which I can install and test kvm 0.15, will do that in the next days.

I just did a quick test comparing kvm 0.12 and 0.15. kvm 0.15 runs better than 0.14... but compared to 0.12 the performace of openbsd-guests is still noticable slower.
So I will go with kvm 0.12 for now.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!